• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Life altering help needed

bob morgan

Lurker
Aug 3, 2018
I have a android lg v20.... I deleted a video about 2 months ago. This video is needed for evidence that is life changing for me. I read on google that it is possible to retrieve even though it was deleted. I dont have any clouds and it wasnt on phone long enough to go to google.
Is there any possible way to recover this video? Im very desperate........

First thing, do not use the phone until you've attempted recovery of the photos.
If you're using Windows or Apple, this may help. http://www.android-recovery-transfer.com/recover-android-photos.html
in any case, this may help https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-deleted-photos-on-android which has a link to an app that can recover deleted photos It's Disk Digger Photo recovery from the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.defianttech.diskdigger.
forensic software. PM me if you want advice about this.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Any file deleted two months prior is very, very unlikely to be recoverable, even if it's a matter where you haven't been using your phone at all since that time. And even if that was the case, there is no consumer recovery utility in existence that's 100% effective in restoring deleted files even under a best case situation. Also, running any recovery utility remotely (on a computer) on a modern smartphone isn't a viable option any more -- any phone running Marshmallow or newer has encrypted storage media. Reading the storage media and detecting files is one thing, but with encrypted storage media actually accessing the files isn't going to happen. Where did you read this is possible? Please post your source(s). Were the articles written prior to 2015 or so? (before Marshmallow was released) The reality is data stored in your phone's internal storage gets written and re-written continuously -- files get saved, edited, deleted, whatever. Even when you use a web browser app and just leave it idle will be writing data as a typical web page will re-update itself frequently. The odds of a deleted video two weeks ago being completely intact is a hit-or-miss matter, a two month old video much less likely.
There's an outside chance that if you had stored that video on a microSD card that it might still be recoverable using one of those utilities. (The default file system on an externally formatted card is FAT32 and not encrypted). But a lot of that depends on how often you've been using the card.

You should get some kind of backup solution implemented now. Don't let this happen again.

Upvote 0
Yep - once you delete a file, that memory position is marked 'available' and Android will replace it with another image, a document, almost anything.

My user data is backed up to several places that are independent of each other - Google, OneDrive and our private NAS at home. If you don't have any backup options set, it's something like this waiting to happen. I wish we had better news for you, but I would be shocked if that video is recoverable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones