1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Life feels better after the Iconia! My 2 cents.. :)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zolhof, May 24, 2011.

1. zolhof

zolhof Lurker

Hello!

I've had the Iconia for about three weeks now and have to say I'm very satisfied with the device. I went to the U.S. on late April for a business trip and decided to invest my hard earned money on a new tablet. I was able to side test the Iconia, Xoom, iPad 2 and was sold by the Acer for the following reasons:

- Full sized USB and microSD right out of the box;
    - Speaker quality;
    - Rotation lock switch;
    - Battery life;
    - Feels AWESOME in hands (very important factor to me. We all know the Iconia is heavier than the iPad, Galaxy, Transformer.. but those extra 100g are well distributed on its fantastic design);
    - Fantastic design :)

Both Iconia and Xoom share very similar hardware specs, but the A500 user experience felt a lot smoother. Dunno if it's Android related, but I actually had to hard reset the Xoom in store. That was very disappointing.

I own an iPhone 4 since its launch, so I'm very used and kinda tired of iOS. It feels outdated. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone, it's a phenomenal piece of hardware, specially after jailbreaking, but I felt it was time to go for a more flexible solution for my tablet experience.

I never saw the Iconia as an expensive toy. Sure I can watch movies and Youtube videos with my girlfriend in bed or have many laughs with friends while messing with the "Nipple" app.. but I no longer feel enslaved to a chair and table when I need to browse the web, read emails, chat, online shopping, read, read, read, etc NO MATTER where I am. Yes, I have a laptop, but it's simply not the same thing. A funny example, the other day I was editing an important document on the laptop, when all the sudden I felt the urge to go to the bathroom.. it took me less than 10 seconds to save the document to a thumbdrive, go to the bathroom and resume my editing on Quickoffice. Comfy and priceless!

I also play drums and have been using the A500 quite a lot for sheet music reading, learning new songs, etc. Last week I was jamming with a couple of friends as we needed some lyrics.. I just handed the Iconia to the "singer" (we were kinda drunk, lol) and he had all lyrics opened in different browser tabs in a matter of seconds, ready to rock. Again, priceless! Here's the result (just for giggles):

I have only 2 minor issues that hopefully Acer will fix on the upcoming update:

- GPS not properly working (or not working at all, while the iPhone locks to the satellites almost instantly);
    - Random wake/sleep bug.

At the end of the day, I think it's a matter of life quality and 450 bucks sounds like a very small investment for what I've gained so far using the Iconia. Definitely a keeper for its price and specs. Thumbs up, Acer!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member

I have also had a great experience with my now 1.5 week old A500, what a great device. Thankfully my GPS is working perfectly though.

Cheers.

Pete

3. Myronbg

Myronbg Member

One significant change that I've made after my 3+ weeks is the browser. I use Chrome on my PC & real happy with it, but surprised that Google/Android's browser is (to me) a disappointment. As the Opera is configured for a tablet I tried it & find that it really works like a full featured browser.

4. ibanezsrx

ibanezsrx Newbie

Glad you're enjoying the Iconia! I've had a similar experience with mine as well. I originally purchased it as an e-reader for my MBA classes and figured I could do some occasional web browsing and check emails while on campus and little more. I was even shocked at how quickly it essentially replaced my laptop. It's so fast on wifi and I have to say for text-intensive websites I just flat out love being able to hold the thing like a magazine and scroll with the thumbs. The thing pretty much saved my butt in anatomy class this spring as well. Whether you need it or not, I encourage everyone with a Honeycomb tablet to check out Google Body if you haven't. It's AMAZING.

I also hear you about the sheet music. I've been using GuitarTapp to search for guitar and bass tablature. It's great.

5. alicia4065

alicia4065 Newbie

I too loves mines brought it when it was release here in the US and so far it's been a great addition to my Ipad 2. :)