• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Life post Swype... NOW WHAT?

Now that most of us have lost Swype.... Where do we go from here??

I have had Swype for the past 4 months and spent the past day tapping and can no longer deal with it.

The alternatives I have heard of are:

SlideIT
Swiftkey

Any others?

Anyone know anything about these? What is our best option??

why don't you have a working version of swype. i have had it since the beta was first available and just recently updated to new version of the beta. i think it was a newer version anyway, i just started actually using it about a week ago.

i guess what i am asking is did i miss an expiration date on the beta or something.

and to answer your other question, i have been using swiftkey up until last week. it's ok, but it is definitely no comparison to swype.

Upvote 0
why don't you have a working version of swype. i have had it since the beta was first available and just recently updated to new version of the beta. i think it was a newer version anyway, i just started actually using it about a week ago.

i guess what i am asking is did i miss an expiration date on the beta or something.

and to answer your other question, i have been using swiftkey up until last week. it's ok, but it is definitely no comparison to swype.

I was not a "beta" user... but there are links from XDA for swype, incase anyone wants to search there...

NO LINKS POST HERE PLEASE!

Upvote 0
I was not a "beta" user... but there are links from XDA for swype, incase anyone wants to search there...

NO LINKS POST HERE PLEASE!

So you were "stealing" their intellectual "property"? (although I don't get why they don't just release a paid version. It's good enough to slap on every new phone out there, but not for current users?)

Upvote 0
My copy of Swype also expired but it's just cause there is a new update. You're supposed to uninstall Swype and the old Swype Installer. Then there should be an email on the account you registered with from Swype linking you to where you can get the update. You have to go there on your phone on a browser that is displaying in android mode rather than desktop. Also don't using Skyfire cause it won't download correctly so you'll have a parsing error when you try to install. If you didn't get an email from them but are registered for the beta, go to their website: Swype | Text Input for Screens then login and have them resend you the email. Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones