1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tips Lifeproof-like case for DNA?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by reginaterrae, Aug 8, 2013.

1. reginaterrae

reginaterrae Lurker

So 2 days after completely shattering my DNA screen, I've got the new one from Asurion and set up and ready to go. I really, really wish I could get a Lifeproof screen for it, but they say they have no plans to make one :(

So I've gone ahead and ordered a Seidio Active + ArmorSuit screen protectors. That's not going to make it waterproof, right? Just much more shatterproof? I know the DNA is rumored to be waterproof anyway, at least until the little flap on the charging port breaks off, but HOW waterproof? I can get caught in the pouring rain with it? Or I can use it to read recipes while cooking, get it all dirty and wash it in the sink? Or none of the above?

And is there a better, tougher case/screen protector combo available? Ideally waterproof, impact-proof, but doesn't interfere with hi-res images, camera, speakers or mike. Is that too much to ask? Probably, LOL ... but worth a try....

Advertisement

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

I would certainly never "wash" my DNA. Rain has never seemed to bother it, though. I use it for GPS on the golf course, and I get caught in the rain sometimes (I'll play through anything). I try to keep it protected from the rain as much as I can, but it inevitably gets wet, and so far, no issues.

3. reginaterrae

reginaterrae Lurker

Awesome. Is this "naked" or with any kind of case on it?

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

I always run my phones naked. Not even a screen protector. Always have, and have never had any issues.

5. reginaterrae

reginaterrae Lurker

You must not be clumsy like me! lol

I've always run them naked too. But I've shattered two DNA screens and drowned 2 or 3 earlier phones. I'm slow, but finally looking for a good regina-proof case. I may end up switching phones with my bf, who has a SGS3, just b/c lifeproof does make a case for that one. I don't know if bf is less clumsy (probably), but he doesn't use his phone for everything all the time, like I do. It's my auxiliary brain!

6. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Android Enthusiast

One word for you. OTTERBOX. It's as close to a life proof case as you will ever get. But to get rid of the bulkiness you will probably want to go with the communter series instead of the defender series. I had one on my bionic and one on my MAXX. I love otterbox and for me I don't mind the bulkiness. But for some they do. Oh, and you will find the best deal on amazon. Hands down.

7. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

And if anything ever happens to the case, they'll replace it for free! (the case cracking after a few months used to be a problem, not sure if it's device related or if it's been fixed)

8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

I have the Seidio active myself, and really like it. It really doesn't improve the water protection of the phone, as all the ports are still unprotected. But it will almost certainly protect you in case of a drop. Plus the silicon material gives you better grip, so a drop is less likely. It does add a good bit of bulk though. I wish they had an option without the kickstand.

9. reginaterrae

reginaterrae Lurker

Is the Otterbox defender enough more protection that it's worth having both? Seidio active for every day & otterbox for, say, the beach?

10. CoyotesFan4Evr

I"m going to say this for everyone, don't think that you are going to just be popping your phone in and out of an otterbox every couple days. It's a pain. When you put your phone into an otterbox case it's like putting it into a safety deposit box. I'm not saying this is all bad because I love all the otterbox cases I've had. I'm just warning that if anyone thinks that taking their phone in and out of a defender series otterbox is just like any other case then please listen to my words....it's not. You are putting your phone into a case that has every orifice of the phone covered and sealed. Why would you need to take it out other than perhaps once a month to wipe the phone off of any dust or dirt that might have worked itself into the case. Anyways I am only giving a warning that it's not advisable to think that switching cases with an otterbox will be all that easy to do on a regular basis.

11. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

Switching cases is what cracked my first Otterbox.

I'd definitely recommend a Commuter - not too bulky, but offers enough protection that I feel no fear in whipping out my phone whenever.

12. CoyotesFan4Evr

13. reginaterrae

reginaterrae Lurker

OK, this is really useful information! Thank you.

14. pugsley0134

pugsley0134 Lurker

I got a Body Glove case from Amazon. I have the HTC DNA. I walk daily and it often rains. I've dropped my phone more times than I can count. Never had any problems.

I am currently looking for one of these new 'so called' waterproof cases.

As one other member had mentioned... It's not a good idea to wash your phone. Most phones are waterproof, not water resistant. The only phones that you can throw in a swimming pool, freeze in ice, and run over with a car.... The Casio Gz series phones. I still have my old Casio Boulder. The only smartphone Casio makes, as far as I know... Is the Casio 4G Commando. These Casio phones, are very popular with construction or other blue collar job companies.

Hope this helps. If anyone finds out about a waterproof case, please let me know.

Thanks guys
    Peace out