• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lifetime data counter

macklij

Lurker
Sep 16, 2012
Hello! I post as a non-Android, but technically able, user (please be gentle).

One of my staff has run up a massive (really big, about $10k) data bill whilst roaming in the US. He's really sensible and I don't believe for a minute the bill is accurate - he doesn't stream media and even waits for a wifi connection before emailing photos or other attachments.

I know it's going to be a battle with our UK provider. What's made it worse is that he didn't check data usage until 1st September which was, unfortunately the day his data counter did its monthly reset. The S3 was practically new when he went to the US. Therefore, if anyone knows how to get to some sort of lifetime data counter on the phone, it would be simple to subtract September's total from the lifetime count and calculate what the phone thinks it has used. This could help build the case for the defence!

Grateful for advice on this or any other ideas...

You should be able to see the monthly data usage from the settings. Go to Phone Settings and press on "Data Usage" and then select the relevant month on "Data Usage Cycle". Next time, tell him to make sure data roaming is off if he doesn't have a specific plan for it.

Thanks, but we know this. He did have a data package BTW.

What I am trying to get is either the previous months usage, or the total usage for the lifetime of the phone. Other phone OS seem to give this - are you saying Android on the S3 doesn't even have a workaround to get this without preinstalling a specific app?

Upvote 0
Thanks, but we know this. He did have a data package BTW.

What I am trying to get is either the previous months usage, or the total usage for the lifetime of the phone. Other phone OS seem to give this - are you saying Android on the S3 doesn't even have a workaround to get this without preinstalling a specific app?

You can get an app called Elixir 2 that enables you to have a widget on the homescreen that counts 3/4G data and Wifi data. only thing is I dont think you can lock it down so that the user cant reset the counter.

Upvote 0
On my international s3, under settings/ wireless and network/ data usage I have the choice to look at whatever month usage I like since the phone was new.

I'm not sure, but if he has had to make a hard reset, that would probably have reset the data counter. Other than that, I can't help you, I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
On my international s3, under settings/ wireless and network/ data usage I have the choice to look at whatever month usage I like since the phone was new.

I'm not sure, but if he has had to make a hard reset, that would probably have reset the data counter. Other than that, I can't help you, I'm afraid.

Thanks. This is a UK model, so will check with him. I do find it strange that he says he can't go back to previous months, but will talk him through it and hopefully we will get somewhere.

Upvote 0
This is what it should look like.

bapezume.jpg

tap the little square that says 16 Sept - 15 Oct, and you'll get the option to choose another data usage cycle = another period.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones