• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Light Flow appears to be an X8 battery suck...

speede541

Android Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2011
SF Bay Area, California
I've been experimenting with Light Flow on my Maxx over the past two days.

I have the full version, and initially installed it to see how it played with Active Notifications. (It doesn't -- not as far as affecting the display -- but it does oddly report finding 4 separate LEDs on the phone).

Anyhoo, I disabled the "light" part of the notifications and began playing with custom sounds and volumes for my various notifications.

The good news is it works, even in conjunction with my chosen volume manager, Sound Profile.

The bad news is it runs the phone warm, and as best I can tell, drains the battery at about double the rate I've been experiencing for the past nearly 3 weeks.

I found some old threads on XDA describing how Light Flow prevents the phone from deep sleep, and actively manages the notifications via a CPU process. This is described as being tied to the update rate of the light color cycle, and that leaving the LED as a single color greatly minimizes battery impact on other phones.

I figure the app circumvents one of the low power "contextual computing" processors and my juice is powering the main CPU to "listen" for new notifications.

Anyone else with a paid Light Flow purchase in Google Play care to test this app and double check my observations?

Also interested in similar apps for customizing notifications, and if any negative impact on battery life is being observed.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones