1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Lil help with multirom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fullbloodedmut, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fullbloodedmut

fullbloodedmut Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    Male
    pro-bono 2nd hand at home i.t
    Florida
    Ok i have a nexus 7 2012 wifi 32gb,i currently have multirom installed with 4.4.2 rooted as my primary, now ive bn trying to get cm 10/11 as secondary, but everything goes fine until it boots cm and i have only maybe 10 apps, no su, no busybox, no app store, ive tried many different gapps, coyld someone plz explain wat im doing wrong, i just wat my primary stock rooted with cm secondary and i cant get it to save my life lol, i appreciate any and all input, thank you in advance,

Advertisement

2. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    You are not really in a bad spot, multirom is too easy to use to really mess up anything.

:lol:

First off Cyanogen does not come with a lot of "bloat". The apps it does come with gives you only the bare "open source" essitentials you need to have a fully functioning android device.

Cyanogen has super user access built in. There is no default icon or "app" for it as super user is managed by the core of the OS, you can replace it with a SU app of your choice if you so desire. You will find the SU settings under the main settings of Cyanogen. Cyanogen also has BusyBox built in, no need to install it from the market for the majority of users.

You noticed there is no Play Store.

The Google services framework (Gmail, Play Store, etc) is proprietary to Google and can only be included in android releases that gets approved and pays fees somewhere along the process. Cyanogen does not include the services framework but nothing stops you from downloading them, agreeing to the the terms and conditions, and using them.

You need the Gapps package and the package is very specific to the version of Cyanogen you are running.

The "official" download source of Gapps for Cyanogen is here - Google Apps - CyanogenMod

Be sure to select the proper version of Gapps for the build of Cyanogen you are running. Go into settings/about Tablet to make sure.

If you are running CM11 you need to decide if you will be running ART or Dalvik as there are two different versions of Gapps available, you must use the ART Gapps package if you intend on running ART.

Finally - Make sure you are flashing the gapps package to the proper ROM in the modified TWRP recovery -

Boot into recovery.

Click Advanced
    Click MultiROM
    Click List ROMs
    Click the rom name you want to flash/modify
    Click "Flash ZIP" , select the zip file on the device, flash it.

Once done flashing an app package zip, while still in the ROM screen you want to manage -
    Wipe dalvik
    Wipe /cache

Then reboot.

Ask more questions if you have them.

3. fullbloodedmut

fullbloodedmut Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    Male
    pro-bono 2nd hand at home i.t
    Florida
    Thank you for that tutorial, ok i was running cm10.2 unofficial, so where i get caught up is(probably a?) how do u know exactly what cm, or any other rom u run how to you find the correct gapps for it? But once again,im very appreciated for your reply and id have to say it probably help alot others!!

4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    The Gapps package isnt really a package per say, its just a collection of the Google apps someone took the time to assemble and create into a flashable zip file for ease of use.

If you really wanted to, and had the free time..a lot of free time, you could assemble your own collection of Gapps using any backup program like Titanium or even a root file manager to copy the apk's and data files of the google apps to import to another ROM.

OR

You can simply use the resources provided by others that have graciously used their talents to provide packages to the community. Tip them by giving them a few bucks if you really appreciate their work by buying the premium/pro versions of their apps or using their "donate" links to buy them a beer in their mod/rom/app home thread.

Cyanogen is very well established so they of course have a comprehensive Gapps flash package, readily available by their wiki, crafted to ensure the highest reliability and ease of use for their releases.

Most other Devs with ROMS worth running on a daily basis ensure their ROM is compatible with a popular "universal" package if they will not provide the package themselves.

A popular universal package has been provided by Paranoid Android development - [GAPPS][4.4.x/4.3.x] OFFICIAL 0-Day PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2013-12-30] - xda-developers

Bottom line is the more established a ROM is the easier it will be to implement Gapps, but thats not to say you should shy away from custom roms as you own a device that is Multirom compatible and if you like trying new fruit then by all means pick it.