1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Limit phone calls to Contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bobnewman, Jan 6, 2021.

1. bobnewman

bobnewman Lurker

I'm looking for an app that should be pretty straight forward but I haven't been able to find one yet. In an effort to block robocalls I need an app that will only let the phone ring if it is from a telephone number listed in my contact list. All other calls should be forwarded to my voicemail giving the caller the option to leave a message. Can anyone help with an app like this?

Thanks in advance... Bob

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Steven58

Hi and welcome

There's Norombo, truecaller, hiya, and robokiller to name a few. Or you can just save money and time by not answering if you don't see a name pop up on your phone.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

If you can't find an app that does this, most phones can do this with the default phone app, kind of. You just need the option to customize ringtones for each contact which most phones have. Non contact numbers will be silent but still "ring" for 15 seconds.

Not quite as good as having them go straight to voicemail, but if you can't find another app to do that at least you won't hear the phone ring.

1. Make your default ringtone an audio file that is silent.
    2. Edit all your contacts and change their ringtone to your normal ringtone.
    3. Some phone apps let you create groups of contacts and assign a ringtone for that group. This might be faster if you have lots of contacts.

Archive.org has a silent ringtone if you need one:
    https://archive.org/download/SilentRingtone/silence_64kb.mp3

Location for ringtone audio files on your phone:
    /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/

4. bobnewman

bobnewman Lurker

I downloaded and paid for Norombo. I see nothing under settings to tell it to only allow numbers from my contact list. Help, please.

Bob

5. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Simple fix, if it will work on your device.

Blacklist Blocker (Block unwanted calls and/or SMS) - https://f-droid.org/packages/com.kaliturin.blacklist

It will do exactly as you have asked.

The voicemail forwarding is automatic.

Let me know if you need help setting it up, this is the very same app that I use on my 8.1.0 for thesame reasons that you mentioned.

MrJavi likes this.
  6. bobnewman

bobnewman Lurker

I have downloaded and installed the app. It looks good (as long as it works). Thank you.

Bob

puppykickr likes this.
  7. puppykickr

Yeah.
    I hope it works for you.
    It is a bit dated, but works great on my 8.1.0

There are quite a few settings, and it is essential to double check them all.

One PITA caviot is that it must be your default SMS app.
    That can be a pain when trying to share pics and videos in a SMS.

So, you will want a simple SMS app that you can quickly switch to in order to send media like that.
    For some reason, the developer did not include MMS as an option in Blacklist Blocker.

So for that, I use Simple SMS Messenger.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.smsmessenger/

When you choose this app from your app drawer, it will ask you to make it your default SMS app.

Then you can send your MMS.

Afterwards, go back to Blacklist Blocker, enter the settings, and choose the first one-

Default SMS app

8. puppykickr

Kind of annoying, I know.
    But nowhere near as annoying as scammers and robocalls.