• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Limited Market on CM7 uSD

bgrutter

Android Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2010
I just gifted my NC to my mother. I returned it to stock so that she could use it easily as a reader as her primary purpose. However, I have an extra 8gig SD card and wanted to load up CM7 so that she would have better market support when she wanted.

I've got everything up and running, but I can't get many apps to download from the market. The apps show up on the search, but no "Download" button displays. A few examples are: Google Maps, YouTube, Words With Friends, Facebook for Android, etc...

Any suggestions? I've only got a little while to correct this before she flys back home (she came in for 2 weeks to help with our new baby boy). If I can't get it fixed ASAP, I'll have to do it over the phone with her following my directions. I'd rather not have to deal with that.

Thanks in advance.

You have to connect to wireless BEFORE running that.

Flash rom.
Boot into CM7... before going thru wizard:
find wireless icon in status bar and long press it... connect to your wireless.

THEN finish wizard.

If you don't have much installed, I'd start over. Do you have time?

I did connect the WiFi first. I flashed CM7 to the card, started it up, signed into my wifi, turned it back off, flashed Gapps, and then setup the Google account. Her Gmail is loading just fine. Also, I can download some apps, just not all.

Go to settings>applications>market then uninstall updates. Its the new market. It sucks on my NC. It will randomly update to the new market and I will have to uninstall updates again. I have no problem with the new market on my evo though.

This IS the issue. I've rolled the Market back, and I can then install. The problem is that it always tries to re-update. So, I have to uninstall the update, reboot the NC, open the Market, install every app I want, and then repeat all the prior steps if I want to install a new app.

I wonder if it's an issue with CM7 7.0.1 RC1. I imagine so. It will have to work for now. Fortunately, my mother's flight was delayed and had to be rescheduled for tomorrow, allowing me get all this straightened out.

Thanks a bunch guys. If anyone knows how to keep the Market from updated (possibly by sideloading an older version), please let me know.

Upvote 0
Freeze marketupdater with Titanium Backup Pro (paid version).

Rename /system/app/marketupdater.apk to marketupdater.bak with Root Explorer (also paid version). You'll need to tap the top "mount r/w button" before and tap it again after. To rename the file, long-press on it to get options.

Reboot when done.

Reactions: stef7
Upvote 0
I did connect the WiFi first. I flashed CM7 to the card, started it up, signed into my wifi, turned it back off, flashed Gapps, and then setup the Google account. Her Gmail is loading just fine. Also, I can download some apps, just not all.

This IS the issue. I've rolled the Market back, and I can then install. The problem is that it always tries to re-update. So, I have to uninstall the update, reboot the NC, open the Market, install every app I want, and then repeat all the prior steps if I want to install a new app.

I wonder if it's an issue with CM7 7.0.1 RC1. I imagine so. It will have to work for now. Fortunately, my mother's flight was delayed and had to be rescheduled for tomorrow, allowing me get all this straightened out.

Thanks a bunch guys. If anyone knows how to keep the Market from updated (possibly by sideloading an older version), please let me know.

I had the same issue when I installed the market. I selected a bunch of apps but only Gmail and Google Maps Street Viewer would install. Facebook, Google Maps, etc all wouldn't. Said they couldnt be found.

I'll give this a try in the morning when I get off work. I just want Google Maps and Facebook on my NC. I'll post up if I have any issues with it. I really don't want to have to redo all of this again.

EDIT:

Go to settings>applications>market then uninstall updates. Its the new market. It sucks on my NC. It will randomly update to the new market and I will have to uninstall updates again. I have no problem with the new market on my evo though.

It worked! Thanks, I was finally able to download the apps I couldnt before.

Upvote 0
In application settings, clear all data for the market app. Edit your /system/build.prop file:

Line 55

qemu.sf.lcd_density=161

to

qemu.sf.lcd_density=160

(root explorer works great for this)

Reboot. Launch Market. Accept terms. Install Apps.

You can revert the build.prop file back to 161 (I did) and reboot and all will work, however, if you ever have to re-accept the terms, you will have to do this again (like with an update).

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
In application settings, clear all data for the market app. Edit your /system/build.prop file:

Line 55

qemu.sf.lcd_density=161

to

qemu.sf.lcd_density=160

(root explorer works great for this)

Reboot. Launch Market. Accept terms. Install Apps.

You can revert the build.prop file back to 161 (I did) and reboot and all will work, however, if you ever have to re-accept the terms, you will have to do this again (like with an update).

Hope this helps.

Seems like a lot of work when deleting the updates and rebooting does the same thing. What does editing the prop file do?

Upvote 0
Just wondering if someone could change the build.prop on the nook so the app store would think it was something other than a nook and then make the apps available to download. JollyRoger87 did this for the Motorola Triumph making the app store think the Triumph is a Thunderbolt and now all the apps that you could download for the Thunderbolt are available on the Triumph.
Here is that thread ###ThunderProp### Build.prop for market access!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones