• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root limited overclocking

Well here's another one from the renowned Dirrk: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bx...MDUyMDY3ZGRjMzIy&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
This one is proclaimed low voltage; at this moment I dont know how low is low. I know the stock Kernal does 1Ghz on 1300mV. The Kernal Im using and linked above does 1.2Ghz on 1325mV. However, the dev's of the Epic had a stable 1.2Ghz Kernal that only needs 1250mV so yes OC'd and undervolted, sweetness. My assumption is Dirrk probably hit this speed at this voltage too; although as I type its unconfirmed.
Im going to sleep now as its 250am here so if anyone wants to try this one go for it otherwise I will probably do it in the morning.
So I've tinkered with the 1.2Ghz Kernal and everything works and everything seems snappier. Heat is a non-issue, there is more battery use when the screen is light and the cpu is chugging away; although overclocked and overvolted thats expected. I really would love that 1.2Ghz Kernal with 1250mV if thats what Dirrks turns out to be. However, in sleep mode its the same since the min set is the same 100Mhz as stock. BTW, some guys were going down to 200Mhz but I've had no problems whatsoever with the 100Mhz min setting; it is the default one anyway. So when in sleep mode the battery life is the same. Overall, its a relatively small hit on battery life for the extra 20% on the top end for speed. Considering how good most of us were doing on battery life before this it should not severely or negatively impact anyone. And again, if Dirrk or anyone gets us an overclocked and undervolted Kernal we should see even better battery performance.

Upvote 0
i tried doing this and it didn't work.. I put the file in Dropbox and opened it via ROM Manager. I have a feeling I'm doing something fundamentally wrong..

EDIT: nvm I'm an idiot. I didn't realize you couldn't just use it from Dropbox. I foolishly wiped my data / cache and backed up my existing ROM too. sigh. I just renamed it update.zip and put it at the root of my sdcard

Upvote 0
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted..

This was before and after i renamed the file to update.zip

File is in root of SD card
No, no guys you dont ever rename it. Once you put it on your sdcard just leave it only. Thats the beauty of CWM it does everything for you.
One the first green screen in CWM you want the option which says something like install from sdcard; not the update.zip one. Then you scroll down to find the folder/zip/rar which ever one you want to apply/install [note it'll likely be way down and not initially screen on the screen; keep scrolling down]. Then it will give you all those no's and the one yes/correct option. It will do its thing and then just back out and re-boot.

Upvote 0
No, no guys you dont ever rename it. Once you put it on your sdcard just leave it only. Thats the beauty of CWM it does everything for you.
One the first green screen in CWM you want the option which says something like install from sdcard; not the update.zip one. Then you scroll down to find the folder/zip/rar which ever one you want to apply/install [note it'll likely be way down and not initially screen on the screen; keep scrolling down]. Then it will give you all those no's and the one yes/correct option. It will do its thing and then just back out and re-boot.

i tried to install by choosing "install ROM from SD card" does that way work?

Reactions: saps
Upvote 0
To an another method:

All I did was copy it to my SD card, open ROM Manager, hit "Install ROM from SD card", and navigate to the right file. I also checked "Backup Exisiting ROM", but that's mostly because I'm compulsive about backing up in general.

I love it so far! Going between LP homescreens seems snappier, and when playing Zenonia the maps loaded faster and there were fewer stutters. I'll keep updating any changes I find, though I didn't document the load times before OCing or anything.

Upvote 0
i tried to install by choosing "install ROM from SD card" does that way work?

To an another method:

All I did was copy it to my SD card, open ROM Manager, hit "Install ROM from SD card", and navigate to the right file. I also checked "Backup Exisiting ROM", but that's mostly because I'm compulsive about backing up in general.

I love it so far! Going between LP homescreens seems snappier, and when playing Zenonia the maps loaded faster and there were fewer stutters. I'll keep updating any changes I find, though I didn't document the load times before OCing or anything.
Wow I've never done it that way but if that works thats even simpler and saves another step or two. Nicely done!

Upvote 0
just tried, no luck! same result.. argh wtf?

Alright, did a bit of searching and found this:

I tried removing LagFix, as suggested at XDA, but got the same results.

I then uninstalled my Market version of CWM and rebooted, then went down the method outlined at XDA.

It went as noted there, then I learned the recovery menu as well; it's shown a bit further down the page there.

Then I re-downloaded my premium license from Market.

Next I flashed the battery zip and it worked and looks great.

Bring on the ROMs. ;)

The original thread is [here], I'm guessing it would solve your problem. Re-downloading the .zip and using it may also help, if it was messed with or corrupted somehow.

Upvote 0
Alright, did a bit of searching and found this:

The original thread is [here], I'm guessing it would solve your problem. Re-downloading the .zip and using it may also help, if it was messed with or corrupted somehow.

Thanks for searching for me! :facepalm: I should've searched myself.. I'm going to try re-downloading the zip first.. Do you know if the XDA method in the link you posted wipes the phone's memory or not?

edit: just followed the link's instructions, OC'd now! thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Great teamwork guys :D
Yeah there is growing evidence of conflicts between the lag fix and CWM functioning properly.
I know whenever I drop a rar onto the SF I dont put it in any special folder just right on and CWM always finds it.
To address zero_one's point it does not matter what its named or renamed as long as you pick the right option
So while there might be some quirks here and there the bottom line is we all get the same working results

Upvote 0
did you try dirrks
I DL'd it but no with your report and others over at xda the impression Im getting is he set the voltage too low; thats my guess at least based on the type of freezing/hanging issues you guys were having. So Im stick with jt's for now. Now clearly the hummingbird can work with a 1250mV/1.2Ghz Kernal like the Epic guys are running. So yeah eventually I will move off jt's; as Im sure lower voltage kernals are possible on the SF. I still havent seen what values Dirrk built into his. Might all be a moot point soon. Sounds like the 1.4kernal is about the same as Dirrk's. Its usable but unstable likely due to undervolting. This is of course unstandable. I'd be most cautious as well if I was flirting withfrying my cpu. Still if 1.6Ghz is theoretically possible and the Epic can do 1.2 with 1250mV I have to assume 1.4Ghz should be a slam dunk even if it takes 1350-1375mV. 10% over-volt is usually safe. I would not start getting worried till 1425-1450mV.

You know the other thing I have to wonder about is who is developing a specifically undervolted kernal just for max battery life. You know a 1Ghz @ 1100mV or even underclocked 800Mhz @ 1000mV something like that.

I just wish I knew how to do this stuff rather than passively waiting for others to spoon feed me.

Upvote 0
Well forget one a day; Dirrk has 5 kernals out now: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxkJ4zVcE6f_ODVkMjZmMzYtNjE5ZS00Y2RmLTgwZWEtOTIxNGQyNTliNTQ4&hl=en
JT also revised his original 1200 and then pulled it. He has an 1100 up as of now. This situation is very fluid. Im still on JT's original and as far as we all can tell it remains the most stable I have had no issues whatsoever; not a single one.
I am tempted by Dirrk's stock voltage 1200; since his low voltage one was problematic for many. But again I will likely sit on the fence for awhile as a lot of people are having problems. Besides 1200 is still 1200. I mean sure I'd take one with 50mV less power draw but stability is key. I did 17 hours today with the 1.2Ghz Kernal [SetCpu conservative] and end that 17 hour stretch at 39% battery and that was what Id term moderately heavy use [Im becoming an iphonemoviez addict]

Upvote 0
Wow:eek:
Talk about fast and furious. There's a 1.4Ghz Kernal out now. I'm leaving on a business trip in a few minutes and need this phone fully reliable. Otherwise I'd test it out myself and I certainly will get to it Saturday if no one else jumps on it before then.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxkJ4zVcE6f_ODVkMjZmMzYtNjE5ZS00Y2RmLTgwZWEtOTIxNGQyNTliNTQ4&hl=en

Initial reports seem to have it fairly stable outside of Quadrant. Im sure there will be multiple fixes on this over the next few days [hours].

Upvote 0
Wow:eek:
Talk about fast and furious. There's a 1.4Ghz Kernal out now. I'm leaving on a business trip in a few minutes and need this phone fully reliable. Otherwise I'd test it out myself and I certainly will get to it Saturday if no one else jumps on it before then.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxkJ4zVcE6f_ODVkMjZmMzYtNjE5ZS00Y2RmLTgwZWEtOTIxNGQyNTliNTQ4&hl=en

Initial reports seem to have it fairly stable outside of Quadrant. Im sure there will be multiple fixes on this over the next few days [hours].

argh! i still havent read up enough to figure out what i need to do in order to make sure i have an appropriate backup of my stock rom and kernel....and havent bothered with doing the Odin install of CWM.....honestly i figured i would wait until we have 2.2, one-click root, and CWM installs natively and by then these kernels will have been tested out better

but you're tempting me :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones