1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Limiting notifications for multiple SMSes from the same person

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by a_i_machine, Mar 5, 2016.

1. a_i_machine

a_i_machine Lurker
    None

Mar 5, 2016
    Male
    Hello,
    My wife and other friends have developed the habit of sending multiple SMSes within a short period of time. Each SMS is one to a few words in length and they can send about 8 SMSes within 20 seconds. I have requested they spend 1/2 a second longer with their thinking and join the SMSes into a longer message. (That didn't work)

I want to get notified (via a beep) for the first SMS received but not the other seven.

The ideal solution I would like is after receiving the first notification there is a time out counter of a few seconds. If another SMS is received before the counter has run out no notification would be given and the counter would be reset. In this way for grouped sent SMSes I would only get notified once.

Is there anything so I can get notified, but not bombarded with multiple beeps one after the first one?

I tried to search for this problem, or a solution to it but was unable to find anything.

Thank you

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste
    None

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    I'm not aware of any app with that feature. Perhaps more education needed, send them some sms's something like:

Hi [send]
    Do you [send]
    realise [send]
    how irritating [send]
    it is [send]
    to receive [send]
    lots of [send]
    very short messages [send]
    ?[send]

Please dont do it [send]
    anymore [send]
    ! [send]

Or, maybe you just turn the volume down to zero when a message from one of them starts. There is an app called Shush ringtone restorer that can automatically restore the volume after a set period (so you dont forget)

#2 girolez, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    chanchan05 likes this.
  3. a_i_machine

a_i_machine Lurker
    None

Mar 5, 2016
    Male
    Hello, I've tried the short message bombardment slightly more politely in the past, as well as asking if they would not send multiple short messages.
    I understand education is a possible solution but that requires changes other peoples behavior which is not a trivial matter.

Regarding manually turning down the volume, sometimes I do this. However normally I don't jump to my phone when I received a message, if I'm out with other people or doing any other task it can wait.

Thank you for your message, I'll look at the 'Shush' app.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I had the same problem once, and my decision was to answer everything they did with a single word reply until they got the point.

Also, I told them that I had turned OFF the notification beeps from their texts and I will get around to looking at them when I have time to do so.

And I did just that, I set their SMS notification to "NONE"....
    I will either educate them, or get rid of the problem.

I, as well as anyone, am guilty of sending something out too fast w/o a final thought added to the end of it.... but to do that habitually? uh, no.