1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Link2SD and nandroid backups?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by TnIan, Jan 21, 2013.

1. TnIan

TnIan Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Tired of dealing with the miniscule internal storage of my Optimus V, I wiped it, reloaded CM7 (BobZhome's 7.2 build), and repartitioned the SD card so it has an EXT partition to use with Link2SD.

Everything works great. I can actually add a new app without having to delete one first. Awesome.

But how does this affect nandroid backups? Do those really work now? If I boot into recovery, run a backup, and then restore from that backup, does everything get put where it was?

During the backup, I do get a message that "SD-EXT could not be mounted," so I assume that all those apk/dex/etc. files that Link2SD put there are not getting backed up. In that case, it doesn't seem like there's any point in making nandroid backups at all.

Any enlightenment and/or suggestions anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisement

2. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Semi-retired developer
    The Shire
    Just copy the contents of the SD card to a folder on your PC, or use Titanium Backup Pro.
    Nandroid backs up the current state of the device (System & internal storage). It's still worth doing as it lets you revert to a previous state, and can help you 'un-brick' ore revert to a previous state if an update goes wrong, or the ROM becomes corrupt.

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I don't know the Optimus V, so take anything I say with caution. And it's probably best to ask in the device's All Things Root forum for the best advice - this may depend on the recovery used, for example.

In my experience a nandroid should back up the sd-ext, so that error message is something I'd ask about in the device forum. The fact that it's warning you tells us that the recovery is trying to back that partition up.

4. TnIan

TnIan Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Good advice, guys, thanks. I'll see what the OV root thread has to say about the sd-ext issue.

5. TnIan

TnIan Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    FWIW, I flashed the ZenGarden recovery, and it successfully backs up the sd-ext partition.

Hadron likes this.