1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Link2SD and Phone Memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ShawnMichael, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ShawnMichael

ShawnMichael Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Whats the difference between linking the file to the SD Card with Link2SD and Moving it to the SD Card with Link2SD.?

Advertisement

2. KuroTsubasa

KuroTsubasa Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    I'm not positive, but if I had to guess:

Moving to the SD card would be the built-in Froyo method of moving apps to the SD card. This would be the same thing as going into Manage Applications and choosing "Move to SD". Also this method only moves parts of the app, not the whole thing.

Linking to the SD card is something that we did a lot back in éclair, before we had built-in a2sd. Basically it makes use of a common Linux tool called linking. This is similar to a shortcut on Windows except the file link looks and acts more like the original. By linking an app to the SD card, you can move the whole app over, and when the system goes too look for it, the link redirects it to the new location.

I hope this post is clear enough / informative, I'm tired and writing it before bed, so anyone feel free to correct me on things.

Also, has anyone been able to get Link2SD to work on Velocity 1.2? It gives me an error about not being able to mount my ext2 partition. This partition has been on my SD card since éclair, so it should work fine. The only thing I could think of was that maybe Velocity 1.2's kernel doesn't have ext2 support since we stopped using it for a2sd back at 1.0.

armanke13 and db2u like this.
  3. KuroTsubasa

KuroTsubasa Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Solved my own problem. Apparently my second partition was formatted as ext4. For some reason Link2SD is unable to mount ext4 as ext2. Reformatted to ext2 and now it works fine.

4. armanke13

armanke13 Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    student
    Indonesia
    Q. What is the difference between “Move To SD Card (Native to Android)" and “Create (Symbolic) Link” in Link2SD?

Which method conserves the greatest amount of internal memory, what are the advantages of "linking" over "moving" and vice versa?

Native apps2sd

Starting with Android 2.2 (Froyo) Google introduced native apps2SD.
    This method moves

* apk file on Android 2.2
    * apk + lib files on Android 2.3+

into a secure folder on your SD card in the main FAT partition.

It is the easiest method because it doesn't require you to partition your sdcard and root privilige.

It has some disadvantages though.

First disadvantage is that application files are just stored on the sdcard's main FAT partition.
    When you enable USB mass storage to share files with your computer (or otherwise unmounts or removes the external storage), any application installed on the external storage and currently running is killed.
    The system effectively becomes unaware of the application until mass storage is disabled and the external storage is remounted on the device.
    Besides killing the application and making it unavailable to the user, this can break some types of applications in a more serious way.

So second disadvantage is that not all apps can be moved with native apps2sd method because of above reason.
    In order for the application to consistently behave as expected, developer should not allow the application to be installed on the external storage if it uses any of the following features, due to the cited consequences when the external storage is unmounted:
    Widgets, Services, Alarm Services, Live Wallpapers, Live Folders, Account Managers, Sync Adapters, Broadcast Receivers listening for "boot completed".

Force move (requires root);
    You can force the apps move to SD card with native apps2SD even the application does not support moving as described above.
    Link2SD and some other apps can force move apps if you have root priviliges. But, note that this can break some applications, as described above.

Link2SD

Link2SD moves apk + dex + lib files of the application to the second partition and creates symbolic links in the original locations on internal storage.

First advantage is that it can free up more space from the internal storage compared to native apps2sd method because it moves the dex file as well.

The second advantage of Link2Sd over native apps2sd is that by creating symlinks you get Android assume these apps are installed into the internal memory, though in fact all the files are located on the SD.
    Therefore you can link all applicatios to SD card; widgets, services, live wallpapers etc., all of them will work without any problem from SD card.

The third advantage is that, even when you mount the SD card to your PC your linked apps are all still live and working! Because Android unmounts the first FAT partition to share files with your computer but the second partition remains mounted. Link2SD allows you to run all of your "SD apps" even when mounted to your computer as a disk drive.

And, disadvantage is that, obviously, it requires root privilige and a second partition on your SD card.
    It's not working "out-of-the-box" as native apps2sd, you need to root your device and create a second partition on your SD card yourself.

Source: Link2SD FAQ

Tags: