• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Linking contact to facebook manual?

Your Facebook and regular contacts should sync up if the names in your contact list are identical.

When my FB and regular contact lists merged at first I had a few duplicates. I've set all their names to the EXACT same (down to caps/spacing/etc) and they have since sync'd up.

I did realize it took a little bit to happen, though. Try sync'ing w/ your google account to see if that will help merge it.

As of now all my FB contacts are merged with my regular phone book (if applicable).

Upvote 0
Your Facebook and regular contacts should sync up if the names in your contact list are identical.

When my FB and regular contact lists merged at first I had a few duplicates. I've set all their names to the EXACT same (down to caps/spacing/etc) and they have since sync'd up.

I did realize it took a little bit to happen, though. Try sync'ing w/ your google account to see if that will help merge it.

As of now all my FB contacts are merged with my regular phone book (if applicable).

I have matched it 100%, still nothing. I have told it to re-sync, nothing. There is such a dumb way of doing it. Sure its nice first off so you dont have to go name by name, but not having a way to specifically link one person manually regardless of name is just plain stupid.

Upvote 0
I've had mixed luck with this... a few, once I changed the name to match the Facebook account name, linked up... some still don't. I even went as far as to write down the facebook info for two contacts, delete it from the phone alltogether, and then re-enter it. One linked, one didn't????

One thing that I did realize was that I had more than one Gmail contact for few people. I went into the contacts on Gmail (on a cpu, not droid), clicked the multiples, and combined... (then re-sync droid gmail contacts, which I had shut off)... that helped for a few more non-links.

The weirdest thing? I have one friend that did not link to her facebook page in phone contacts. but when I texted her, the contact in the messaging is her facebook contact... so her name is linked in one service, but not another???

I can only assume they will fix this eventually.

Upvote 0
I have had some difficulty with the linking of contacts as well. The only thing that worked for me was removing the facebook account completely. Then fixing some of the contacts, turned off the phone, reloaded the facebook account. This worked for most of the contacts I had issues with. I still do not like the inability to manually link with facebook. I use the bluetooth recognition in my car and it is a PITA to have to say whole names for the people I call most often. Oh, well minor issue overall.

Upvote 0
After renaming all my gmail contacts to their facebook names, my contacts wouldn't sync. The following worked for me :

1. Open Facebook app, and then open the settings.
2. Scroll all the way down, and there is a Sync Contacts selection. Touch that.
3. Select Remove Facebook data, and then select ok.
4. At this point, I checked out my contacts to make sure my facebook contacts were gone, and they were.
5. Go back, and change the Sync Contact setting to Sync all.
6. Go back to contacts, and voila, all the ones before that wouldn't sync are now syncd.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
to do it manually go into the contact info on your android device. there is a bar with icons on the bottom of the screen. slide over to the "album" icon and click on it. if you are logged into your facebook account you should be given suggestions as to what fb contact you might want to sync with this particular contact. click on that contact and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
to do it manually go into the contact info on your android device. there is a bar with icons on the bottom of the screen. slide over to the "album" icon and click on it. if you are logged into your facebook account you should be given suggestions as to what fb contact you might want to sync with this particular contact. click on that contact and you should be good to go.

I am no seeing this "bar with icons" on the bottom of the contact screen.

Here is what I am doing:

Contacts app -> "Contacts" Tab -> click contact name -> click "Menu" -> click -> Edit

If that is the right page, I am not seeing this "album" icon anywhere. I am logged into facebook as well on my phone.

Upvote 0
I am no seeing this "bar with icons" on the bottom of the contact screen.

Here is what I am doing:

Contacts app -> "Contacts" Tab -> click contact name -> click "Menu" -> click -> Edit

If that is the right page, I am not seeing this "album" icon anywhere. I am logged into facebook as well on my phone.

maybe that is something unique to the HTC Hero. i got to that menu by long-pressing on a contact in the address book that pops up when you press the call button and clicking "view contact". if you go through the "people" icon, long press the contact and select "edit contact." scroll down to where it says "social networks, and you can assign a facebook profile to sync it to.

Upvote 0
maybe that is something unique to the HTC Hero. i got to that menu by long-pressing on a contact in the address book that pops up when you press the call button and clicking "view contact". if you go through the "people" icon, long press the contact and select "edit contact." scroll down to where it says "social networks, and you can assign a facebook profile to sync it to.

Yeah, if I long press and go to "Edit Contacts", I see a lot of diffent sub-categories, but do not see the category "Social Networks".

Upvote 0
With sync option to "Sync with existing contacts", go into the facebook application and select Friends. From there pick whatever friend you want to sync and press on the picture, NOT his/her name, and then press the contact icon. Hit the menu key and select Edit Contact, then hit the menu key again and select Join. Then from there, it should give you a suggested contact or your entire contact list to choose from. Hit Done.

note: This method is a little picky, and sometimes a friend's facebook name replaces the actual name you saved for him/her in your contact list. I'm picky about how I name my contacts in my phone so this gets very annoying. However, if the facebook name and contact name is almost the same, it should keep the original contact name intact.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
With sync option to "Sync with existing contacts", go into the facebook application and select Friends. From there pick whatever friend you want to sync and press on the picture, NOT his/her name, and then press the contact icon. Hit the menu key and select Edit Contact, then hit the menu key again and select Join. Then from there, it should give you a suggested contact or your entire contact list to choose from. Hit Done.

note: This method is a little picky, and sometimes a friend's facebook name replaces the actual name you saved for him/her in your contact list. I'm picky about how I name my contacts in my phone so this gets very annoying. However, if the facebook name and contact name is almost the same, it should keep the original contact name intact.

This worked perfect, if you want to do it manually!

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem with my own contact entry, which won't synch to my Facebook account.

I have tried renaming this contact, then creating a new one (exactly matching the FB name), and forcing a re-synch. That didn't work.

I've added more contact details to my FB account (phone numbers, addresses, chat accounts), in an attempt to give the contact manager more to match. No luck here, either.

Checking the pc-based Gmail, shows all of the 'Notes' fields are blank for my FB-linked friends. So, the Moto Droid must be using some other method.

And the manual synch method above (which fixed a couple of my difficult contacts), doesn't work since my own account doesn't show up in the FB "Friends" listing.

This whole thing is odd, since FB is registered through my gmail account and both show up in the Contact manager's auto-synchronize options. So the phone acknowledges both accounts, but won't merge them.

Maybe I'm "doing it wrong" . . .
Long before I got the Droid, gmail's web interface had created a contact entry for me, which was then imported into my phone. I now use it to keep my various chat accounts and my work's multiple email addresses & phone numbers straight.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Thank y ou.

Talk about a hidden buried function.

Upvote 0
It just really sucks that if a person chooses some wacked out name for facebook, that is the name in your contacts if you link it up. I would think the contact name on your phone or in gmail should override facebook.

For instance... if I have a contact named John Doe and I want to link the contact record to his facebook profile, his name in my contacts will display as G Money Man Alcoholic Wannabe or whatever. Doesn't look or sound to professional if someone looks at the contact list or you voice dial.

I wonder if there is an issue on the code site that can be starred by everyone to have this fixed.... or if that would be a facebook issue only. Seems like google could over ride that and make contact names show instead, similar to how most visual voicemail clients have to use the speaker so there's no privacy (why did they do that?). Anyway.......

Upvote 0
I would think that would be within the facebook app. I wonder if they could do the link by nickname, so you could make a contact for john doe and put G Money Man Alcoholic Wannabe in the nickname field and have facebook link to that. I haven't been able to get an answer as to exactly how facebook links to contacts, I asked a few places when my own stopped linking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones