1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

linking contacts with gmail contacts

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MikeInPoulsbo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. MikeInPoulsbo

MikeInPoulsbo Member
    None

Jan 20, 2012
    retired
    Poulsbo, WA
    I guess it was dumb on my part but I unlinked all the contacts on my Galaxy S2 from Google then deleted the split out Google contacts from my phone. I did this because I wanted to avoid all the duplicate contacts that are downloaded when I transferred them to my landline phone. Now, I'd like to restore all these contacts back in sync with Google. When I force a sync I get an error message saying "too many contacts deletes" meaning, I guess, that it treats all the previously linked contacts as being deleted and won't handle that.

So, how do I relink my contacts to Google?

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Check to see if the contacts are stored in Google on your desktop PC. If they are, you might be able to save them to a vcf file on SD card and then import the contacts to the cellphone using the contacts app.

3. MikeInPoulsbo

MikeInPoulsbo Member
    None

Jan 20, 2012
    retired
    Poulsbo, WA
    The contacts exist both places. I don't need to restore them to my phone, I just want them to be synched to Google. When I attempt to synch it says "Delete limit exceeded". The choices are to "delete the items" (I don't know where), "Undo the deletes" (which didn't do anything) or "Do nothing" (which means that the error message remains on my phone).

4. MikeInPoulsbo

MikeInPoulsbo Member
    None

Jan 20, 2012
    retired
    Poulsbo, WA
    Well I tried again to synch and this time around all the contacts in my Google Gmail account transferred to the phone contacts list. They did not join with the contacts already there so I had to delete all of them. Time consuming but the phone contact list and Google seem to synch OK now.