1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Links Appearing in SMS Messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bumwart, Jan 5, 2021.

1. bumwart

bumwart Lurker

Hi all, happy new year.
    I've recently noticed links in sms messages, prompted by the message content. For example, a friend sent me a message a few days ago and signed it off "love.cx" (the C is her inital and X i guess a kiss, quotation marks werent in the sms obv.)
    The message was received as usual but with a small box under the text which said:

love.cx
    Forsale Lander
    love.cx

I tapped the box and it brought up a webpage afternic.com and a GoDaddy banner telling me that the domain is for sale. Ive attached a screenshot of the page.

I'm a complete dimwit when it comes to tech so was hoping that someone on the forum could tell me what's happening. Are my sms messages being read by a 3rd party and, if so, can i turn it off?

thanks for any help.

Screenshot_20210105-170428_Brave.jpg

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

It's because she didn't put a space between the period and C. That makes the app think it's a website and turns it into a link.

.cx is the domain for Christmas Island.

puppykickr, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  3. Steven58

Why don't you 1) buy the domain and 2) populate it with lovey dovey web pages and messages. You'll score bigtime points that way. Trust me.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. bumwart

bumwart Lurker

Tks for the reply. BUT... why, and why link to that particular website? Can i disable it?

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Right now love.cx does not exist so it's forwarding you to that page, Afternic and Go Daddy sell domain names.

You might be able to disable it in the apps settings, if it has an option.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Have her send you a real web address like weather.com and you will see a preview of the page in your SMS. As others said, you sms app tried to create a preview but since web page wasn't found it brought you to the webhosting site.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. bumwart

bumwart Lurker

Hmmm.. not sure her husband will be too happy about that. Thanks all the same!

ocnbrze and Steven58 like this.
  8. bumwart

bumwart Lurker

Tks pete. There's loads of web hosting sites, so what determines which one it directs me to?

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Steven58

Wooops! LOL.. I guess NOT! :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

anytime an address is used but does not exist, a page will appear asking if you want to use a web hosting site to be able to make that address work. people will do this to see if that web address is taken or not. your browser is making a suggestion for you. so any web hosting site be displayed is direct to you if you select it from your messaging. it is as @kate is suggesting to you.

just ignore it and you are fine.

Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus release date was March 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.2" screen, 12MP camera, 6GB storage, Exynos 9810 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

March 2018
Release Date
Reviews