1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Linksys EA4500 vs. Netgear WNDR4500

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Drudge, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Drudge

Drudge Newbie

Looking to replace my old Linsys WRT54G router with something that runs on the 5Ghz band. I'm unable to decide between the Linksys or Netgear router but if it helps I'll be about 40ft. away from the router either streaming video on my new laptop or playing the PS3. Any advice or recommendation, experience with either of these two routers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. andr01d

andr01d Android Enthusiast

That 4500 is kinda too new - almost nobody will have a clue 1/2 :)
    I have E4200 and before that the WNDR4000. Either one will work just fine. They each have their good and bad - in the end either one is just fine. The Netgear setup is easier (not 50 or 100 pages). The parental control on the Linksys-Cisco is nicer.
    Speed-wise and connection-wise, they're both just fine. At 40 ft, both will be just fine as long as we point the good (internal antenna) side to your laptop/console.
    Good luck.

Drudge likes this.
  3. Drudge

Drudge Newbie

Thank you andr01d. I might just wait another week to see if more reviews roll in on the Linksys but other than that I might as well flip a coin :)

andr01d likes this.
  4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Personally, I'd go with Linksys because I have more experience with Linksys gear... and I like Cisco.

5. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!

You might also want to consider the Asus RTN66U.

6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Linksys is Cisco. Cisco writes the Book. Netgear and the others use the book and follow the standards that Cisco writes. Only downside to Linksys is cost. It is usually more for the same thing its competitors offer however your paying for the book to be written so its worth it in the end. I would not give up My Linksys for nothing. Just my 0.02

7. andr01d

andr01d Android Enthusiast

Oh. The C-L E4200/etc has an android app too. We can't do much with the app... but it's an app :)

8. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!

True, but the question is how good do the others implement the "book".

Yes, it isn't that impressive. I am waiting for true remote access over the internet via the Android App.

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Not sure about the LinkSys, but the NetGear is a solid router, except:

It's based upon Broadcom's chipsets, which means that DD-WRT support is a long time coming. For a short read, see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=149569, which then leads to https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/7/175.

For a much longer, but much more detailed thread about why DD-WRT and this particular router are not compatible ATM, see DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Also, this is some important information that you might want to consider: Comparison of new Netgear WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 - AVS Forum - in this post, be sure to read the part in the middle, regarding the video over air specs.

**NOTE** - there was a firmware release last month for the WNDR4500 that had a nice changelog - see it here:

• Original Firmware for router
    • Firmware that my router shipped with when I purchased it in December
    • firmware that I updated to last month

Drudge likes this.
  10. Drudge

Drudge Newbie

Thank you johnlgalt, thats a wealth of information.

11. johnlgalt

I found tons more than that when I was researching a replacement Gigabit Ethernet + Wireless N router, but those pretty much sum up the good, the bad and the ugly about the WNDR4500.

12. jfetzer845

jfetzer845 Lurker

the bad for the netgear is old news. its now rock solid and 3rd party firmware is avalible now

its more stable then the asus and faster then the lyksys

it had problems as all the other routers do when it was first released i even returned it the first time.
    i have to have port fowered for my servers and had problems with the asus and lynksys routers and took a chance again with the WNDR4500 they got it all right with the new firmware its rock solid and newegg reviews support this . i like the netgear for its supper fast i mean the fastest. its a keeper :)

13. linuxrich

linuxrich Well-Known Member

Linksys/Cisco have been getting some bad press over the past day or two over online updates forcing various unwanted stuff on customers...

14. johnlgalt

I'm still using this same router - it is rock solid. The setup was easier than I thought it would have been and every device I want to connect connects flawlessly, whether I use WPS push button, pre-shared keys or automatic setup.

I've not checked for a firmware update lately, but TBH, it's working so well that I don't want to lol...(bad joke from my days on a D-Link Gamer Lounge 4500).

All in all, only thing I can see as a negative is lack of DD-WRT support - I'd like to really fine tune the router, but when I go off to my Ph D university somewhere, I'll probably buy a DD-WRT-friendly fast router.