• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Linksys EA4500 vs. Netgear WNDR4500

Drudge

Dec 19, 2011
Looking to replace my old Linsys WRT54G router with something that runs on the 5Ghz band. I'm unable to decide between the Linksys or Netgear router but if it helps I'll be about 40ft. away from the router either streaming video on my new laptop or playing the PS3. Any advice or recommendation, experience with either of these two routers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That 4500 is kinda too new - almost nobody will have a clue 1/2 :)
I have E4200 and before that the WNDR4000. Either one will work just fine. They each have their good and bad - in the end either one is just fine. The Netgear setup is easier (not 50 or 100 pages). The parental control on the Linksys-Cisco is nicer.
Speed-wise and connection-wise, they're both just fine. At 40 ft, both will be just fine as long as we point the good (internal antenna) side to your laptop/console.
Good luck.

Reactions: Drudge
Upvote 0
Linksys is Cisco. Cisco writes the Book. Netgear and the others use the book and follow the standards that Cisco writes. Only downside to Linksys is cost. It is usually more for the same thing its competitors offer however your paying for the book to be written so its worth it in the end. I would not give up My Linksys for nothing. Just my 0.02

True, but the question is how good do the others implement the "book".

Oh. The C-L E4200/etc has an android app too. We can't do much with the app... but it's an app :)

Yes, it isn't that impressive. I am waiting for true remote access over the internet via the Android App.

Upvote 0
Not sure about the LinkSys, but the NetGear is a solid router, except:

It's based upon Broadcom's chipsets, which means that DD-WRT support is a long time coming. For a short read, see https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=149569, which then leads to https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/7/175.

For a much longer, but much more detailed thread about why DD-WRT and this particular router are not compatible ATM, see DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Also, this is some important information that you might want to consider: Comparison of new Netgear WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 - AVS Forum - in this post, be sure to read the part in the middle, regarding the video over air specs.

**NOTE** - there was a firmware release last month for the WNDR4500 that had a nice changelog - see it here:

• Original Firmware for router
    WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.0.50

Note: Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade. Enter "Backup Settings" in the web GUI and click "Erase" button of "Revert to factory default settings".

New Features & Enhancements:
    Improve the IOT issue with WUSB600N, DWA-160.

Known Issues:
    Connect to WNHD3004, the LAN of WNHD3004 cannot get DHCP IP address
  • Firmware that my router shipped with when I purchased it in December
    WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.0.58

Note: Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade. Enter "Backup Settings" in the web GUI and click "Erase" button of "Revert to factory default settings".

Improve the 5G long range performance.

Known Issues:
  • firmware that I updated to last month
    WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.0.70

Improve the file copy speed between wireless to LAN or WAN.
    Added the Readyshare GUI page.

Known Issues:
  • WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.0.103 - BETA

Notes:
    This is a limited public beta release version of the firmware. Feel free to install it, but be aware that this firmware has not gone through full SQA (Software Quality Assurance) testing.
    Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to reenter them manually.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements:
    [Fixed]: Guest network can

Reactions: Drudge
Upvote 0
I found tons more than that when I was researching a replacement Gigabit Ethernet + Wireless N router, but those pretty much sum up the good, the bad and the ugly about the WNDR4500.

the bad for the netgear is old news. its now rock solid and 3rd party firmware is avalible now

its more stable then the asus and faster then the lyksys

it had problems as all the other routers do when it was first released i even returned it the first time.
i have to have port fowered for my servers and had problems with the asus and lynksys routers and took a chance again with the WNDR4500 they got it all right with the new firmware its rock solid and newegg reviews support this . i like the netgear for its supper fast i mean the fastest. its a keeper :)

Upvote 0
I'm still using this same router - it is rock solid. The setup was easier than I thought it would have been and every device I want to connect connects flawlessly, whether I use WPS push button, pre-shared keys or automatic setup.

I've not checked for a firmware update lately, but TBH, it's working so well that I don't want to lol...(bad joke from my days on a D-Link Gamer Lounge 4500).

All in all, only thing I can see as a negative is lack of DD-WRT support - I'd like to really fine tune the router, but when I go off to my Ph D university somewhere, I'll probably buy a DD-WRT-friendly fast router.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones