1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Linux command line user with Samsung Galaxy Spica.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by globetrotterdk, Aug 29, 2011.

1. globetrotterdk

I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Spica (i5700) running Android 2.1. Firstly, I would like to be able to use command line tools and run cli apps like vim, nano, alpine, cmus, etc. Is this possible? I know Android runs a modified Linux kernel, but I am unsure how far the comparisons between Android and Linux go. Secondly, I would like to run a newer system by installing a custom ROM. Any suggestions for my mobile brand and model?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. voku1987

voku1987 Newbie

:) yes you can use it ... install "SGM BETA3" then use e.g. "adb shell" > bash, vim, etc.

PS: maybe this little HowTo can also help you > [HowTo] Android Debug Bridge (adb)

Mfg
    Voku

3. globetrotterdk

Thanks for the quick reply. I have "a Better Terminal App Pro" installed, as well as BusyBox. Is it possible for me to install cli apps before I try installing the custom ROM, or is installing a custom ROM a precondition for installing cli apps?

Samsung Galaxy Spica Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Spica release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1500mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews