1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Linux guy buys first android phone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fetchinson, Apr 28, 2012.

1. fetchinson

fetchinson Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Hi folks,

So normally I use a linux laptop but the screen of my old phone broke I finally got an android device (samsung galaxy note). I'm quite pleased so far but have a few general questions:

1. I've read about rooting the phone, is that process reversible?

2. If the phone is rooted can I choose to use it with or without root privileges or if it's rooted once I can only use it with root priviliges?

3. There are loads of preinstalled samsung applications which I don't need (allshare, buddies now, social hub, etc, etc), can I delete those somehow (the normal software removal procedure doesn't work)?

4. Is there something like a shell for viewing the full file system?

5. Already installed connectbot, pretty cool! (okay, this is not a question :))

6. sl4a and python both work (not a quetsion either :))

7. If I want to stay anonymous to some extent and want to disconnect my google account from the phone so that it doesn't download anything from gmail, calendar, etc, etc, and doesn't do any syncing what services will be lost as a consequence?

8. Is there a simple one-click type of way to disable all network connections?

9. How do I control what processes/services are started up at boot time?

Well, I guess that's it, basically any info that will help me feel at home on the device the same way I feel at home on my linux laptop would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Daniel

Advertisement

2. fetchinson

fetchinson Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Oooops, I see that this section is not for support questions, please ignore, I'll post the questions to the appropriate forum.

3. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    Hello, and welcome to AF. :)

Don't worry, you're fine. I think I can answer a few of your Q&A's.
    Yes, it is possible to un-root a phone, for it's good to do before sending it in incase something happens to it for they won't fix a phone that is rooted sense you void your warranty once you root it.
    You can choose to use it's root privileges or not, the choice is yours.
    One of the reasons why people root there phones is so they can remove all those pesky pre-installed apps and carrier bloatware. One of the phones I know can do this without root is the Samsung Galaxy S2.
    I Don't know about viewing the file system.
    If you choose to not sync with just Gmail then it shouldn't effect other services.
    If you enable airplane mode, then yes including your phone signal so you won't receive phone calls.
    I have no knowledge about how to do this last one, but it sounds like you can with root access.
    I hope I was helpful and if you need any help or have anymore questions please feel free to ask. You should find better info by heading over to your devices area of support Samsung Galaxy Note to get the best answers.
    Enjoy the forums. :)