• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Linux swap on mt3g

aldaris

Mar 8, 2010
okay so i've heard you shouldnt set a swap for the mt3g because it doesnt make a difference... is this true? my friend who helped me out rooting my phone and flashing new roms told me this, he told me i would see no improvement over doing this, i believed him because id idnt know better, and he might be right, but i heard a lot of people flashing roms into the g1/mytouch do it, so i wanted to know what difference does it make? i know what swap does, and that it creates 'physical ram' but i would like to know if anyone knows about making no difference in mytouch... thank you for your help.... and if anything you can reach me on gtalk at joseberrioramirez@gmail.com main reason i'm asking this is because i'm gettin a class 6 card on monday and wanted to see what i was gonna do because i wanna set on one rom for now :D.

THank you in advance

i swear its like a new phone. i have cyanogen-6 2.2 froyo and it was starting to get a little slow from all the new features. i disabled animations and uninstalled apps to no avail. i downloaded "Swapper 2" from the market and set it up to 32mb swap and set the swappiness to 30 (swappiness=how much it is accessed) and its like a new phone. i used to wait 6-8 seconds after a pandora exit, and now its close to 1.5-2 seconds. music is instant load as well as the app drawer.

(also this does wear out your sdcard a bit faster but who cares? they are cheap anyways)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones