1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support linux to android reverse tether

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    I have a wired connection to a computer with a linux operating system and I have been trying to reverse tether my tablet to it via usb with no results. My tablet got factory reset and I need to restore it somehow. I don't have a technical background but I seem to be needing to acquire on pretty quickly to deal with this problem.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I don't think you can do that, connect to the internet via USB with an Android tablet or phone, it just doesn't support it. Usually when you connect an Android device to a PC, it does either file-transfer MTP/PTP modes or charging only.

Does the computer have WiFi in it, or could get a USB WiFi adapter? If so could probably setup Linux as a WiFi hotspot for the phone, and connect it that way. Are you using Ubuntu or something?

#2 mikedt, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    kate likes this.
  3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    It would be far easier to just set up a router to provide you the WiFi for the tablet.

When I am out away from anywhere, and I need to use my laptop, I use my Smartphone as a WiFi hotspot and use my data plan

mikedt likes this.
  4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Can you go to a store or friends house with WiFi? That would be the easiest if you don't have a WiFi router and can't hotspot data from your phone.

If your desktop has a WiFi adapter you can try what @mikedt suggested, it's called Ad-Hoc. Here is a guide for Ubuntu (there's no date so if it's old the steps might be different), other Linux distros can do this too:
    http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-create-a-wireless-ad-hoc-network-in-ubuntu

mikedt likes this.
  5. shelemrakefet

shelemrakefet Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2016
    Female
    T's been awhile but thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'm new to the whole technology thing but find myself needing to use it often. Keep up the good work, I appreciate it!