• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Linux user here - stuck with "insufficient permissions for device"

The phone is correctly rooted, and I'm using this method:

FASTFORWARD TO 5:17 PLEASE :)

YouTube - How To Root & Sideload Apps on the Samsung Captivate with Windows

I get stuck here trying to install a HTC_IME.apk file (trying to get the HTC Keyboard on my Cap) to my phone. I've ran it as a regular user and as a su user in my terminal. Is this an error on my phone's end? Maybe I missed a setting during/after rooting my phone?

Code:
rene@rene:~/Android SDK /android-sdk-linux_86/tools$ sudo ./adb install HTC_IME.apk
[sudo] password for rene: 
error: insufficient permissions for device
Help would be greatly appreciated :D

maerlim's guide did not look linux friendly (few things are different in the linux terminal than the windows command prompt) which is why I haven't tried it, but if any other linux users followed his directions I'll try to give it a go.

*******EDIT*******

Ok so I ran ./adb devices to view my device just for the hell of it and here's what returned:

Code:
rene@rene:~/Android SDK /android-sdk-linux_86/tools$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached 
????????????    no permissions
My phone is mounted correctly, USB debugging is on, what the heck did I miss? :( From what I can gather it probably does not even detect my device :(

thanks so much, your solution fixed my problem (sudo ./adb devices returned
List of devices attached
???????????? no permissions

It makes sense now because the first time I ran adb it wasn't as sudo, so the deamon started with insufficient privileges. "sudo ./adb kill-server" and then starting adb as sudo did the trick!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones