• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Liquid Frozen Yogurt v1.95 (Liquid Smooth Edition Source ROM!! Faster Then Frozen!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cannot figure this out. I am running lfy 1.95 and my ongoing notifications are all black...I went into liquid tweaks and changed them to yellow...all of the other notifications turn to yellow except for the ongoing...Tried changing them to white, same thing, red same thing. So I am lost at what else I should do. Any assistance would be appreciated. This happens w/ Pandora and Dropbox. Thanks ahead of time for any help on this....hopefully I do not have to reload the rom, but if needed I will do it....

Upvote 0
Pandora, IIRC, has all of their notification colors hardcoded into their app. Bad coding on their part. DropBox is probably the same way.

I have seen this numerous times with Pandora through different versions of Android an with different ROM / theme combinations.

My guess would be to have someone recode the app in a way that allows for changed fonts, but that is a Pandora issue, same with the DropBox app.

Upvote 0
glad to hear that is an issue with those apps....thanks

It will also be an issue with other apps that hard code their notification colors in like that. But, yeah, at least now you can stop thinking something is wrong with the ROM or your phone :D

Any more details on 1.96?

How about an update with Liquids system crash?

Seems the thread was deleted, just wondering how everything is progressing and if Liquid was able to get back up and running?

+5 on that - donated too, so....

Upvote 0
Slowly but surely I'm getting everything set up like I like it (I'm still pretty new to rooting, custom rom's etc). The biggest thing I'm still having trouble with is battery life. At first I thought it was the kernel I was using. I installed one that I've read many other users have had good luck with, but for some reason mine just doesn't like it. I can unplug my phone and not touch it and it's dead in less than 4 hours. The battery statistics say that the majority is being used by com.android.email. I have gmail and my work's exchange mail both set up for push but I've never had any problems before.

I greatly appreciate all of the past assistance I've received and am feeling pretty desperate. I really like LFY and I don't want to restore back to the stock OS.

Any suggestions? PLEASE! Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
@daltekkie - you have to realize something - an overclocked kernel, even the low voltage ones, still use more power than the standard kernel that comes stock with the stock ROM. With pre-Froyo, the kernel was stock at 550 MHz, with Froyo it is 800 MHz.

if you are using anything higher, it is going to run through your battery faster. If it is significantly different (stock Froyo gives you, say 12 hours while LFY with OC kernel gives you 4) then you need to look at seeing if you are actually having sync issues so that your Exchange and GMail are continuously synchronizing. However, if the Stock Froyo only gives you 5 to begin with, then you're going o have to figure out what you can do to start either killing your hone / disabling Push / changing the push intervals to longer ranges, or something else.

Battery life is a very subjective thing, but I can tell you this rather confidently - if I run Pandora with continuous streaming on my phone with a fully charged battery relatively close to a tower, I can easily get 5 hours of battery life (roughly the same amount of time that my Motorola MOTOROKR S9-HD headphones will last) but if I am in a building with a lot of interference, or really far away from the nearest signal tower, then my phone dies before my headphones do.

Same phone, same battery, different life b/c of the fact that other variables have come into play.

You'll need to sit down and evaluate several things, the primary being this: Was your DROID already on FroYo before you rooted, or was it pre-froyo? That's the first big question.

next, you'll need to look at seeing if you have other background processes that may also be contributing to this significant drain - and this could be caused by a multitude of things, from improperly restored system settings from an app like Titanium Backup to other apps that are just not playing nicely with your Exchange and GMail (for example, Liquid always has new and Weather Genie in the system ROM, and I remove it immediately - I never use it, and it wastes space, and once you use it it also automatically syncs in he background, unless you disable it - even with a very long time interval, say, 6 hours, if it happens to sync / attempt at the same time that your Exchange / GMail are syncing, oddities can occur.

This will do for starters, and I'm hoping that you get it figured out relatively quickly, but be prepared for some hardcore grinding to test out what may be the root cause for a hone dying in 4 hours flat....

Reactions: daltekkie
Upvote 0
@daltekkie - you have to realize something - an overclocked kernel, even the low voltage ones, still use more power than the standard kernel that comes stock with the stock ROM. With pre-Froyo, the kernel was stock at 550 MHz, with Froyo it is 800 MHz.

if you are using anything higher, it is going to run through your battery faster. If it is significantly different (stock Froyo gives you, say 12 hours while LFY with OC kernel gives you 4) then you need to look at seeing if you are actually having sync issues so that your Exchange and GMail are continuously synchronizing. However, if the Stock Froyo only gives you 5 to begin with, then you're going o have to figure out what you can do to start either killing your hone / disabling Push / changing the push intervals to longer ranges, or something else.

Battery life is a very subjective thing, but I can tell you this rather confidently - if I run Pandora with continuous streaming on my phone with a fully charged battery relatively close to a tower, I can easily get 5 hours of battery life (roughly the same amount of time that my Motorola MOTOROKR S9-HD headphones will last) but if I am in a building with a lot of interference, or really far away from the nearest signal tower, then my phone dies before my headphones do.

Same phone, same battery, different life b/c of the fact that other variables have come into play.

You'll need to sit down and evaluate several things, the primary being this: Was your DROID already on FroYo before you rooted, or was it pre-froyo? That's the first big question.

next, you'll need to look at seeing if you have other background processes that may also be contributing to this significant drain - and this could be caused by a multitude of things, from improperly restored system settings from an app like Titanium Backup to other apps that are just not playing nicely with your Exchange and GMail (for example, Liquid always has new and Weather Genie in the system ROM, and I remove it immediately - I never use it, and it wastes space, and once you use it it also automatically syncs in he background, unless you disable it - even with a very long time interval, say, 6 hours, if it happens to sync / attempt at the same time that your Exchange / GMail are syncing, oddities can occur.

This will do for starters, and I'm hoping that you get it figured out relatively quickly, but be prepared for some hardcore grinding to test out what may be the root cause for a hone dying in 4 hours flat....

Thanks for the advice. To answer some of your questions, I had been on Froyo since it first came out (I forced the update even before most of my friends got theirs OTA). I was on it for several months and was very happy with the battery life. I had both Gmail and Exchange set to push and I used them heavily, in addition to texting, nearly all day long and my battery would last a good 15 hours easily. That was even with weather bug turned on with the GPS option to follow me.

I expected a difference in battery life because it's just common sense that the faster the processor the power it will need. But going from 15 hours to 4 feels like I've cut an artery.

I've spent countless hours researching what the problem could be and I've read that not all chips are the same, to try different kernels until I find the right one that jives with my phone. I've tried 8 different kernels and every one of them had them same rate of battery drain.

Another bizarre thing is that I can talk on this phone for an hour and the battery meter doesn't move. I can leave it sitting and not touch it and it will drain at a rate over 20% and hour.

I really don't want to go back to stock because I LOVE the ROM I have. But I can't live with my phone like this.

Any other suggestions? What else can I try? Thanks in advance!

Update for johnlgalt - I just saw your answer to my other post. Instead of having two conversations I'll just keep to this one.

When you asked for tweaks that I made, what did you mean? I did use SetCPU to try to clock it down when the screen was off, battery under a certain %, etc. But that is the only changes I made. I'm wide open for recommendations. This is my first crack at this and apparently I'm learning the hard way. But I'm in desperate need of advice.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Battery is fine when you're on the phone but not when you're not.

OK, here is the deal - what is the one thing you cannot do while talking on the phone? Surf or anything Internet related - via 3G. Therefore, I suspect something is running in the background that is continuously synchronizing / downloading / uploading and eating up your 3G bandwidth *and* the battery.

Now, to troubleshoot this theory and either prove or disprove it, I think we'll need to take a look at your bandwidth usage (you can log into your MyVerizonWireless account and compare your current usage to the last couple of months) or you could get the My Verizon App from the market and watch and see if the usage count is increasing over a large interval (say, over a day, when you are not using it actively for anything, checking it, say, every hour.

ISTR that there was another app that monitored 3G upload and download usage physically, through the phone, as opposed to logging in to your MyVZW account, but I cannot remember what the name of it is. Anyone else here remember? I'll try searching for it but it has been so long since I used it....

Or, conversely, if there is a way from settings to view directly how much active throughput there is currently going on with the phone, that would be a big plus as well. I suspect there is a way to do it via Terminal Emulators, but I don't know that info right now.

OOOoohhh, just had a thought - how many Google accounts do you have on your phone? How many of them did you set to synchronize everything (or, more appropriately, not deselect items to synchronize)? Also, How about twitter / FB / Genie Widget? Are you using any of those widgets on your phone?

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Battery is fine when you're on the phone but not when you're not.

OK, here is the deal - what is the one thing you cannot do while talking on the phone? Surf or anything Internet related - via 3G. Therefore, I suspect something is running in the background that is continuously synchronizing / downloading / uploading and eating up your 3G bandwidth *and* the battery.

Now, to troubleshoot this theory and either prove or disprove it, I think we'll need to take a look at your bandwidth usage (you can log into your MyVerizonWireless account and compare your current usage to the last couple of months) or you could get the My Verizon App from the market and watch and see if the usage count is increasing over a large interval (say, over a day, when you are not using it actively for anything, checking it, say, every hour.

ISTR that there was another app that monitored 3G upload and download usage physically, through the phone, as opposed to logging in to your MyVZW account, but I cannot remember what the name of it is. Anyone else here remember? I'll try searching for it but it has been so long since I used it....

Or, conversely, if there is a way from settings to view directly how much active throughput there is currently going on with the phone, that would be a big plus as well. I suspect there is a way to do it via Terminal Emulators, but I don't know that info right now.

OOOoohhh, just had a thought - how many Google accounts do you have on your phone? How many of them did you set to synchronize everything (or, more appropriately, not deselect items to synchronize)? Also, How about twitter / FB / Genie Widget? Are you using any of those widgets on your phone?

I only have one google account, I have facebook, but I don't use it's widget. I don't use any widgets that use the data connection but I do have my work's exchange account set up on here. I even changed it to only synch once an hour. I had a strong suspicion that when it was checking email maybe it wasn't terminating the internet connection. I just re-downloaded the verizon app and I'm at 6GB for the month! Although, I only have 5 days left and I've only been using this custom ROM for almost 2 weeks now.

I broke down and installed a new ROM just now, just for comparison's sake.

Upvote 0
I have been swamped lately and haven't had a chance to play much with my phone.
As a result, I was still running LFY 1.7 and honestly, was a little reluctant to give it up.
But yesterday I finally loaded LFY 1.95... WOW.
This ROM is fast. I managed to get a quadrant score of 1603 using the included stock kernel. Think I may stick with that instead of bumping it to 1250.
I usually go with the watermarkd theme but for now, I am liking the new stock theme as well.

Good job Liquid and everyone else who had a hand in this new version.

Upvote 0
Grab 3G Watchdog - 3G Watchdog - Android app on AppBrain - also - it will monitor you 3G usage, and you can easily prove if it is still doing it or not.

Thanks, I just downloaded 3G Watchdog and it's a little scary. In less than 10 minutes it received 5.27MB and transmitted 321.6KB. It looks like it's steadily downloading something but I can't tell what. I'm not receiving that much email.

I changed my exchange from Push to only check every hour and I reset the counter and it's still steadily downloading something, so it seems like I might be able to rule out my Exchange account.

How do I narrow down where that traffic is coming from? And why would this be happening on each ROM I've tried?

Upvote 0
I think I can safely say it was my Exchange mail. I removed the account, added back all of my widgets, and I've been texting and emailing (through Gmail) for a solid hour and my battery is still registering 100%. Before, it would have already been at 80% with it just laying idle. Much worse if I'd actually been using it.

What would cause exchange to do that? It never behaved that way until I rooted because I've always had this exchange account on every phone I've had and the only time I've had a usage problem is after I rooted.

Update - So now I'm even more confused. I restored back to the stock ROM (but still rooted) and my exchange runs just fine on there. It's not continuously downloading like it is on a custom ROM. What causes that?

Upvote 0
When you went with 1.95 how did you restore apps / settings?

Also, did you wipe /data + /cache + /system + /boot?

I'm pretty sure I wiped everything and then just let my google account restore my apps for me when it synced.

I've tried several different ROMs and I know I wiped everything with those because I used ROM Manager and it asked if I wanted to wipe and then install.

Upvote 0
ROM Manager typically only asks if you want to wipe /data and /cache. /boot and /system get overwritten anyway, but it is still recommended to to it manually. Fortunately, you can use ROM manager to download the file for you, and then do it all manually. I wrote up the instructions in another post, read this: http://androidforums.com/droid-roms...osp-source-built-awesomeness.html#post1941194

For Liquid's ROM, it is a bit different, instead of /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/froyoroms.com/files/developers/jrummy/JRummy/Lithium_Mod/LithiumMod-NextGen/ you go to /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/android.markjohnston.us/DL/LFY/RELEASES/, and of course, you have to have the paid version of ROM manager.

Of course, it sounds like you have more experience than I initially gave you credit for, so I want to ask this - do you manually set up your Exchange accounts and such every time? If no, then try removing all info for your Exchange hosted email and entering it in manually and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
ROM Manager typically only asks if you want to wipe /data and /cache. /boot and /system get overwritten anyway, but it is still recommended to to it manually. Fortunately, you can use ROM manager to download the file for you, and then do it all manually. I wrote up the instructions in another post, read this: http://androidforums.com/droid-roms...osp-source-built-awesomeness.html#post1941194

For Liquid's ROM, it is a bit different, instead of /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/froyoroms.com/files/developers/jrummy/JRummy/Lithium_Mod/LithiumMod-NextGen/ you go to /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/android.markjohnston.us/DL/LFY/RELEASES/, and of course, you have to have the paid version of ROM manager.

Of course, it sounds like you have more experience than I initially gave you credit for, so I want to ask this - do you manually set up your Exchange accounts and such every time? If no, then try removing all info for your Exchange hosted email and entering it in manually and see if that helps.

Thanks again. I'll definitely check out that post. As always, I really appreciate the assistance.

Well, when I did the first few, I used ROM Manager to download some of the ROMs, but I felt like I had more control when I just downloaded the ROM or theme manually and then move them over to the SD card. All I use ROM Manager for now is to make backups of current ROMs and to navigate to and install new ROMs. Themes and kernels I install manually in recovery mode. I'll give your article a try and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

I forgot to answer your question. Yes, I manually set up my exchange. I'm about to try setting it up again and see what happens. Then I'll try wiping everything and starting over.

Upvote 0

I can't believe I didn't try removing the account and setting it up again. I work for a freakin software company, I should have known better! lol Well, anyways, I simply restored back to the ROM that I liked and removed and re-entered the exchange account info and so far so good. Although it hasn't been very long, I've had much better readings on 3G Watchdog. Thanks again for all your help. I think I'm on my way to recovery. :D

Upvote 0
So how difficult would it be to just change the notifications drop down?
I really like the WatermarkD theme and am probably going to install that once again over the stock theme in LFY 1.95.
One dislike I have with WM is the notifications screen.
notifications.jpg

I would much prefer the one from the Smoked theme:
notifications.jpg

Another small dislike is the Power Control widget in WM.
I really just like the stock one.
Is there a way to just change these?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones