• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

list for safe apps to freeze?

You are allowed to disable Smart Actions (and many other things) just by going into the settings>apps menu and clicking on them. If it's a preinstalled app that you are allowed to turn off, you will see that the "Disable" button is lit up for it. Some apps you will click on, and Disable is not an option, meaning it would require root to freeze or remove them.

After being on .247 with custom, thinned-out ROMs, I just took the official .246 update, and I was able to get the stock ICS rom into decent condition without using Titanium Backup or anything else to remove apps. Most of the garbage that I wanted gone was able to be turned off in the apps menu.

As far as directly answering your question, a Google search brings up many lists of what is safe to freeze.
Freezeable ICS apps

The point of freezing, though, is that it technically still leaves the files there without fully uninstalling them. So you don't really need to ask ahead of time about whether it is safe or not, as freezing is never really "unsafe". Only fully uninstalling is dangerous. If you freeze something, and it creates a conflict, you just unfreeze it and put it back.

Upvote 0
There is a thread in the All Things Root section, http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-things-root/410336-safe-bloatware-freeze.html but now since some apps can be frozen/disabled without root maybe we should start a new thread.

Mods, what do you think?

Here is my take on it, if you are not rooted anything that the phone allows you to disable or deleted is safe for the masses it is when you root and start deleting or freeze system apps and apps you have now idea what they do you are gong to run into trouble that's why the list is in the all things root section.

Upvote 0
Yes the rule seems to be ... if you are not root-ed and they allow you to disable it then it is safe to disable. If they allow you to delete it then it is safe to delete.

Some of the apps run in the foreground and also can run in the background. By background I mean that some other apps call those apps running in the background and you are not aware of it ... until it fails.

So you can enable it again ... but ... be aware that when you start disabling apps don't rush it.

... Thom

Upvote 0
You are allowed to disable Smart Actions (and many other things) just by going into the settings>apps menu and clicking on them.
you don't even have to go into settings. just open the app drawer and long press on the app (as if you wanted to add it to the home screen) when the home screen appears DO NOT LIFT YOU FINGER, at the top of the screen, where you usually see the red trash can, you will see 3 dots and MORE. drag icon there and viola. if you don't see disable as an option just select more from the options and it will be there.

Upvote 0
I need to update my response.

It seems everytime I have disabled smart actions and only smart actions, the "Paste notification pops up all of the time!

What I mean is, I would copy a link to post in a forum thread (For example) and paste. Job done, link is pasted!

The problem is, when I would go to manually type in a url in the browser, the "Paste" notification kept popping up till I rebooted the phone. I have tried this twice with consistent results. I would recommend sireagles approach.

I'm on a custom rom now anyways and all of that crap is removed and the phone is even faster with better quadrant scores. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones