1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root List of apps safe to remove

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edodonnell, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dalastazn

dalastazn Newbie
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    SSI Recipient
    Bay Area, California
    These apps SHOULD NOT be removed:

• Browser.apk - MetroWEB - Required for Android Market
    • Phone.apk - Phone app/dialer
    • Settings.apk - Settings menu
    [/QUOTE]

I accidently remove the Browser.apk, now I factory reset and I can't download anything from the Android Market! please help

Advertisement

2. lyubimov

lyubimov Newbie
    None

May 29, 2011
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

In case you still need it

Attached Files:

shigglyboo likes this.
  3. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    So assuming one deleted the stupid metro web browser, and thankfully found the browser.apk file thanks to luybimov, how does one go about actually reinstalling the thing? I don't see any folder called "system" when I mount the phone, I've pasted the raw browser.apk file and the extracted folder onto my SD card, but beyond that I'm not exactly sure what to do.

4. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    ok, I think I figured it out. If you were able to remove apps, you're probably using an uninstaller. The same uninstaller can reinstall apps. It found the .apk file on my SD card, and by pressing and holding down the file it gave me the option to "install as system app" and the blasted thing reinstalled.

I think I'm out of the woods. Hope this helps some others.

5. Braddah Spliff

None

Jun 15, 2011
    Machine Operator
    408 - 808
    I deleted browser.apk & my HTC Droid Eris ran Android Market fine...BUT iDid have Dolphin Browser HD already on my phone...So maybe Dolphin Browser HD can be used as a replacement for Browser.apk

***IF YOU DO DECIDE TO TRY THIS***
    Like has been stated earlier by other posters...FREEZE Browser.apk in TiBu 1st to test it.
    DO NOT DELETE UNTIL TESTED THRU FREEZE!!!

6. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

HTC Droid Eris is not the LG Optimus M. Doesn't matter if you have a replacement browser, the Market and other features will cease to function. This was discovered months ago when the issue first presented itself. Thanks for trying though :)

Braddah Spliff likes this.
  7. Braddah Spliff

None

Jun 15, 2011
    Machine Operator
    408 - 808
    Yeah dood, thanx for the clear up. Just got my Optimus M as a replacement line...Which is why i didn't post as if I was positive it would work. I'm still in the middle of customizing this new device, & just completed rooting it right before I had to drive cross country. So I'm still reseaching on everything. Seems like the 2.2.1 is a lil' more of a PITA than other Optimus models, but I learned patience with my Eris & it's problems.

But yeah, thanx again.

8. brasilianman

brasilianman Newbie
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Hey everyone. I did an update to my phone so real soon all stock phones will have 2.2.2 in them. I don't have it rooted as of yet but I saw that the new stock software added Google Books, IM and Social, Gmail, and M Studio in addition to what is already pre-installed from prior stock programs.

9. maximus_pr

maximus_pr Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    not working for me just finished rooting installed super user elite installed root explorer $3.99 i can select the applications but when i try to delete it says is a read only archive blah blah blah

10. Darnell0216

None

You have to push the button at the top of the window that says "Mount R/W" to have read/write permissions in that folder and delete items.

11. maximus_pr

maximus_pr Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    know it works thanks

12. davidmfink

davidmfink Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    Deleted all the (SAFE DELETE APPS)
    Went to turn back on my phone, and android screen only.. not loading to framework, any idea?

13. Darnell0216

None

Deleting all the apps isn't necessarily a good thing. Do you remember all the apps you deleted? Did you make a backup beforehand? Did you delete LGHome.apk?

14. davidmfink

davidmfink Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, all the (safe apps) listed at the top of this page
    NO
    Yes i did, but after i read about the dolphin HD being used as a backup, or what ever, but yes i did delete LGHOME

Any way around this? Less than 4 days ive had this phone.

Also telling me that The application setup wizard (process com.android setupwizard) has stopped working once i hard reset it to factory by holding down home, power, and volume down button.
    Also hard setting to factory does nothing but give me a black screen, and wipe all my data clean, i get get phone calls still, but cant get my computer to acknowledge my phones usb

15. davidmfink

davidmfink Lurker
    None

Aug 6, 2011
    ok not listed at the top of this page, but the forum page talking about safe to remove apps

16. Darnell0216

None

- Factory Reset cannot reset your phone if you deleted everything. There's nothing left to reinstall.
    - LGHome.apk and Browser.apk cannot be deleted under any circumstances, regardless of what posts say. The Market is attached to Browser.apk and will fail if you delete it. If you install a substitute Home Launcher (ADW, LP, GLEX) and anything should go wrong with them, your phone will have no app to fall back on if LGHome is deleted. http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...ok-here-resolved.html?highlight=delete+lghome

17. Lakshya

Lakshya Lurker
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    **** ,,i rooted my phone ..mistakenly uninstalled lg keyboard nd wap services
    ..nd afta reading here i even deleted lg home..
    i thought to unroot my phone back ..i did it ..nd then i reset it to factory settings ..nd now my phone aint working ..please please give me a solution ..asap

18. dheidemann73

dheidemann73 Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Male
    DFW
    ok i deleted the browser.apk........ and i have put the browser.apk on my sd card. and i go into installing it and saids app install failed.

need help please. where to put it to install it.

19. undacova

undacova Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    That should just be moved to the phone, not installed.

I believe it belongs in /system/apps...

20. dheidemann73

dheidemann73 Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Male
    DFW
    ok did that and not installing. and not fixed.

not sure what i'm doing wrong.

bttledfedmr2 likes this.
  21. dheidemann73

dheidemann73 Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Male
    DFW
    bttledfedmr2 likes this.
  22. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    metro Atlanta area
    First, it's NOT the "stupid Metro web browser". There's your first mistake. Ignorance, not knowing the facts. And from there is where people make mistakes. You wouldn't just go into your Windows folder and start deleting stuff you don't "think" you need? These Android phones are powerful little computers in you hand, and you have to treat them with respect.

The stock browser on this phone -- the Optimus M -- is actually the Google Android browser, which is a respected browser. Metro just re-named it to fit with the naming scheme on their feature phones with browsers -- so that the stock browser on all Metro phones has the same name, same look, same home page.

But it's the 2.2 Froyo Android browser.

And being the Android stock browser, it is a necessary component of the 2.2 Google Android system, much like IE is needed for a lot of Windows components even if you never use IE to browse. You can install any other browser you wish, but the stock Android browser has to stay.

Unless you use a separate 3rd party program to communicate between your computer and phone with a USB cable (like LGNPST), there is no way to reset back to factory settings once you have removed necessary system components. Resetting back to factory settings the way you are trying to do (using volume, power buttons, etc.) just removes personal data and resets all settings back to defaults. It does not restore deleted programs. With programs like LGNPST you can restore the phone back to like when you bought it at the store. THAT is what you want.

==========

Go read this for more info. That thread helped a LOT of people including me restore my phone when it was screwed up. It was only used to restore back to true factory condition.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/254250-lgnpst-lab-1-2-better-than-my-fix.html

23. reggjoo

reggjoo Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    Male
    Pgh
    I've grown into taking a chance on deleting apk's, and using common sense. Maps, and the associated apps that go with it( latitude, and navigation)are gone, and replaced with gps essentials, calculator's gone, replaced with a scientific calc, camera's gone, replaced with other, better, apps and some more. These apps don't run in the background. I don't want to get rid of email.apk, since it's my yahoo acc. some apps are needed, and really don't take up much space to be considered. I rooted, and put cyanogenmod 6 on, and I think this helps in doing stuff. Titanium backup pro is all I use, even though I have root explorer. I have deleted the browser apk, and haven't had a problem with the market. I think that putting a rom on, made all the diffrence.

24. devildogg1981

devildogg1981 Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Computer Repair tech.
    Los Angeles,CA
    my stupid azz accidently removed GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk and the worst part is, I use it very often. I did not back up in anyway.

is there a way to put back. i downloaded an apk... and put in /System/App folder with Root Explorer. but still wont work.

Can someone please help me.

Thank you

25. AndroidHogs

AndroidHogs Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Tuckerman, AR
    Can you click on it and install it?

Tags: