1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root List of apps that makes rooted droids superior than stock droids?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by foebux, Jan 22, 2010.

1. foebux

foebux Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Student
    in the boondocks
    I've been lookin @ this forum for a while now and now i decided to join!
    I was just wondering what apps (on rooted droids) make big difference than the stock droids??
    also, is there any great performance upgrade on the rooted droids??

Advertisement

2. De1MastR

De1MastR New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    There is 1 good Root hack made by google.

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Turns your Droid into a wifi hotspot by bridging the G3 and wifi together. WAY TO SWEET. I building a Droid sniffer, Cant wait for my alpha. almost done. Will throw it up on the market for rooted 2.0.1 only.

3. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    It's not the apps, it's what you can do to the device itself.

Load ROM's, etc.

Yes, you can significantly upgrade performance if you overclock. However that carries risks. It's up to you to decide if that risk is worth it.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    To name a few...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Android Terminal Emulator (FREE) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    A TERMINAL EMULATOR FOR COMMUNICATING WITH THE BUILT-IN ANDROID SHELL. EMULATES A REASONABLY LARGE SUBSET OF DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION VT-100 TERMINAL CODES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Better Terminal Emulator Pro ($3.99) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    ASH SHELL WITH COMMAND HISTORY AND EDITING
    Terminal Emulator (FREE) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    THIS IS THE TERM APP WRITTEN BY GOOGLE. THIS APPLICATION ALLOWS YOU TO PULL UP THE LINUX COMMAND LINE ON YOURR PHONE
    Drocap2 (FREE) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    SCREEN CAPTURE UTILITY. TAP START BUTTON AND SHAKE THE DEVICE OR WAIT FOR TIMER TO CAPTURE SCREEN IMAGE. THIS WORKS WELL WITH "SUPERUSER WHITELIST" ENVIRONMENT.
    Adfree Android (FREE) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    REMOVES MOST ADS IN THE BROWSER AND OTHER APPS IT DOES THIS BY NULLIFYING REQUESTS TO KNOW HOSTSNAMES SERVING ADS
    SU File Manager and Terminal ($1.99) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    ROOT FILE MANAGER WITH SU, TERMINAL, SEARCH, MOUNT, CHMOD, SYMLINK, VIEW/EDIT/SAVE FILES, SH/RC SCRIPTS, EMAIL, HOME/FAVS, DOWNLOADER, MULTI-SELECT, CREATE/EXTRACT ZIP, PC BROWSER.
    Autostart (Root) (FREE) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    THIS APPLICATION RUNS /DATA/OPT/AUTOSTART.SH AS ROOT AFTER BOOTING THE DEVICE AND FINISHES. /DATA/OPT/AUTOSTART.SH NOT PROVIDED YOU NEED TO CREATE IT AND FILL SOME COMMANDS YOU WANNA RUN AT START UP.
    Root Manager (€1.99 **$2.91**) (AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET)
    ROOT MANAGER IS TOOL FOR ALL ROOT USERS. IT ALLOWS YOU TO EASILY REBOOT NORMAL, RECOVER, BOOTLOADER(WIDGET), REMOUNT /SYSTEM, WIPE YOUR DATA, REMOVE SYSTEM APPS, MANAGE DATA CONNECTIONS, MANAGE SD CARD MOUNT
    Android Scripting Environment (ASE) (FREE) (AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD: CLICK HERE)
    THE ANDROID SCRIPTING ENVIRONMENT (ASE) BRINGS SCRIPTING LANGUAGES TO ANDROID BY ALLOWING YOU TO EDIT AND EXECUTE SCRIPTS AND INTERACTIVE INTERPRETERS DIRECTLY ON THE ANDROID DEVICE.
    Root Explorer (File Manager) (UK

5. navinjohnson

navinjohnson Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for the info JOE/messenger13. I'm looking through your suggestions right now. By the way, in your signature you have an extra "AND". Thought you'd want to know.

6. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Michigan
    @Joe:

The AdFree one looks really nice, but does it really require the phone to be rooted?

7. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    yes, it will ask for superuser permission upon starting.

8. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Michigan

ah, thanks.

9. ccousinsjr

ccousinsjr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    sasnakrA
  10. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Joe, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but do you have a job? You seem to be on these forums 24/7. ;)

11. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    Great list, Joe. Is that stickied here somewhere? (-It should be.)

12. Kirch21

Kirch21 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Well said, i agree apps are just a small plus to ROMS/THEMES. Instll bugless beast and you will know what we are saying!

13. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    apps are a big part of what i do on the phone, so yeah, i knew most of these, but some are great to know about. ps i am no iphone wanna be, just loves me some apps

14. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    BR, LA
    An App Joe missed: MobileDefense.com

If you install it as system app, it will then be able to turn on GPS even if the person who has the phone turns it off.

Also, it becomes invisible, especially if you blacklist the incoming texts msg's it uses.

Oh, and it's free.

15. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    SetCPU is really nice, speeds up your Droid, very useful.

16. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    +100 for Cachemate, I have only had my phone for three weeks and when I cleared all the cache I gained 3% of my internal memory. I can only imagine if I had the phone all these months :eek:

17. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    South Florida
    Add to the list:
    Titanium Backup (backup/restore apps, data and market links)
    Dual Mount SD Widget (mount SD card and still have phone access at the same time)

18. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Arizona
    The first thing I did with my phone (pre-root) was blutooth file share. That is a stock feature.

19. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    South Florida
    Just came across "Quick Boot." It is a free app for rooted phones that easily allows you to reboot the phone or boot into recovery or bootloader modes. So far it is working great on my Droid.

20. teabagdad

teabagdad New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Sorry but , my phone is rooted, but what are benefits of a ROM ?...

like.... please explain. Thanks.
    I know the ROM is a new OS. but how many ROMS are out there.

21. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    NorCal

Many many ROMS Droid - ROMs - Android Forums

some debloat, allow different settings, etc

22. Lomallin

Lomallin Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Workforce Management
    Michigan
    My Backup Root
    Great for me since for some crazy reason, apps never stay linked to my android store account. Every time I restore my device, or wipe it, it only saves 10% of the apps I had installed.

23. STORMM

STORMM Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Back to top... Anyone have additions..?

24. Hashtag

Hashtag Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Male
    High School
    Carl Junction, Missouri
    I'm sorry, I know this thread is like 2 years old, but.....oh my gosh. I laughed sooooo hard.

25. teddyearp

teddyearp Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Yeah, but look at his avatar. He's playing guitar. Don't you know that when a band want to record a song, they need to rent two studios for the guitar parts. One for the player and the other for his ego, lol. And that's probably why he was yelling all those apps.

Oh and if Joe thinks I'm flaming him, I'm not. I have played guitar as well, so I know from experience.