1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

List of Apps using AirPush

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mjschmidt, Nov 27, 2011.

1. RyanB

RyanB Guest

All the more reason to avoid using these apps

2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

That's beyond intrusive. If any of my apps did that, I would make sure that EVERYONE on this forum knows about the app and simply ruin the apps' reputation. Unless those apps are paying for my phone calls, I don't see any good reason that I should be force to listen to ads before my calls.

ASC likes this.
  3. Matzah Man

Matzah Man Newbie

I saw this app updating a few days ago. Suddenly had spamware for the first time on my phone. I had just recently installed a few other apps and I had this one for a while... It took me a few days and a couple hours of research to figure out wtf was going on.

In fairness, the Dev did put a notice on his Play Store page, but since I had it on my phone already I didn't get any notice, just started getting spam in my notification bar.

TO REMOVE:
    I downloaded Addons Detector, ran a scan and figured out it was Neon Blue theme in less than 10 seconds. Quick uninstall and 1 star rating and now I can move on with life :)

A Note to Devs:
    I have absolutely no problem supporting you for your excellent hard work. I buy apps all the time. If I get any use out of an app I will support the dev by purchasing or at the very least clicking on ads (Side note: I don't generally like phone apps over $5, unless they scratch my...) BUT if you spam my fricking phone without giving me notice, my wrath will be swift and vengeful. People HATED junkmail, then Junk faxes, then telemarketers, then Junk email, then spamware, etc... WTF on god's green earth makes you think the majority of consumer's will suddenly not have a problem with your phone spamware. DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND FIGURE OUT ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE MONEY. This spamware crap will not end well for you I promise.

<Rant off>

4. fredpauling

fredpauling Newbie

For those unfamiliar with AirPush, it is a technology that allows devs to serve ads directly to your notification tray, and by placing icons on your screen!!!!

AirPush Detector tracks your installed app to find which is the responsible of status bar ads

Such a simple. We're pretty sure most of you have suffered those annoying status bar ads and you don't know where they come from or which app is the responsible of that cheek. AirPush Detector will help you with that.
    It does nothing else but tracking your installed app (permissions) to find which apps is suspicious of being sending push notifications with ads to your status bar. Its currently detected framekeworks include: airpush, leadbolt, appenda and IAC.
    Once the list is displayed, you can uninstall them easily (if you want) just by tapping them. It will bring you to the uninstall menu of that app.

5. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

A good AirPush detector with an easy info layout is Lookout Ad Network Detector :)

Lookout Ad Network Detector

Lookout blog, release of Ad Network Detector
    ... Since last year, we’ve seen mobile ad networks adopt increasingly aggressive methods of ad delivery. At Lookout, we’ve been particularly watchful of ad networks that are capable of pushing out-of-app ads to the default Android notification bar, placing generically designed icons on the mobile desktop, and changing browser settings, like bookmarks or homepage ...

Harry

6. mark4th

mark4th Lurker

Go keyboard. I have thus blacklisted EVERY SINGLE application developed by the GO team until they stop this. Multiple emails to these asshats has proven to be a complete and utter waste of time.

I uninstalled my absolute favourite ROM because it uses GO Launcher too :/

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

If enough people follow your lead, they'll change. Just be sure to stick to your guns.

8. scmemory

scmemory Lurker

Thanks for all the posts in this thread! I was having notifications pop up in my tray and on my home screen. Downloaded the addons detector, and found I had two (now deleted) problem apps:
    Photovault (airpush, leadbolt)
    Relaxing rain sounds (airpush)

Thanks again!

9. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert

10. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

I've never had an AirPush ad ever, but I did notice that option in Jelly Bean, and that's pretty cool. You can keep the app itself enabled but just prevent it from being able to display notifications.

11. INvinter23

INvinter23 Member

Six Guns from Glu also put out some Airpush updates

12. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert

UPDATE:

Victory will be ours!

Not only does Jelly Bean (if you have it) let you stop apps from pushing notifications, but Google has now revised their app standards for Devs that specifically prohibit apps from installing shortcuts without letting the user know (and have a way to undo it), and prohibit ads from an app that "simulate a notification".

Here are the quotes from the article on the Phandroid front page.

13. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert

UPDATE: Gameloft tells Phandroid officially that they are NOT using AirPush.

After Phandroid reported that users were getting notifications from Asphalt 7, and that _two_ Gameloft employees said that it was AirPush, Gameloft reached out to Phandroid and claims that after an internal investigation they believe the "AirPush" info was given out in error. They claim that they do NOT use AirPush, and that users should not have seen those notifications, and that they have "fixed" the problem.

I don't know what fix they have applied, I haven't seen an update for Asphalt 7 since then, and I still occasionally get these notifications. To be clear, these don't appear to be ads for anything, just reminders to play Asphalt 7.

Still, I can't help but wonder why two separate employees in different areas (customer service and a forum admin) would both indicate that AirPush was the culprit if Gameloft doesn't use AirPush?

There may be more going on than we know, or it may have been a simple error, so unless we have any concrete evidence I am removing Asphalt 7 from the list.

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

Gameloft is one of, if not the, biggest game devs on Android. Yesterday I and many other people started getting notifications in the notification tray from Asphalt 7.

I emailed Gameloft about it and this was the response I got:

So, they may be using Airpush now.

I know we can turn off notifications now in app settings, but most users don't know this.

UPDATE: I sent this tip to the Phandroid blog, and apparently Gameloft or Airpush are now challenging the story. I've sent the emails I received from the Gameloft support person to Phandroid to show to the rep questioning the article. In fairness to Gameloft, I've edited my language a bit above to reflect that they may be using Airpush (given the response I received from their customer support) but I'm giving them a chance to explain.

UPDATE 2: I posted my question in the Gameloft forums and received this response from an admin.

Link: http://forum.gameloft.com/index.php/topic,76187.0.html

14. zoxxo

zoxxo Android Enthusiast

If you're using Jelly Bean and having trouble finding and removing the offending Airpush app, I found this really cool tip. When you get the Airpush ad in the taskbar, press and hold on the notification. You will be taken to the app manager which will show you the offending app. Then remove the app or disable the notifications at your leisure. Airpush detector told me about this when I attempted to do a scan for Airpush apps.

Hope this helps...

15. mygalaxy5504

mygalaxy5504 Lurker

android.airpush .g steals private data????

hi Frnds
    my android caught airpush.g adware.it delayed my keypad response slowed my system.I removed it by quickheal antivirus.plz tell me whether it also steals pivate pics from folder

16. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Airpush doesn't steal data, just interferes with the operation of the phone.

Of course apps using this have been banned from the Play Store for some months now, so if you have these problems it suggests someone breaking the rules or you installing from a dodgy site. I mention this because while airpush doesn't steal data, other malware might, so if you've installed from unreliable sources you could have a problem that way.

17. mygalaxy5504

mygalaxy5504 Lurker

I have not allowed non mkt apps to get installed.and quickheal too didn't detect anything else.I believe it got in during dwnlding tubemate from uc browser.
    Is there any way to know what happened while the adware was in my mobile because I wasn't getting ads in notification.

18. Umm are you sure about that. I'm not only concerned about the ads and what not, but especially my privacy. Please read this (airpush privacy contents) and tell me what you think. Not only do they collect private information through apps, cookies and java scripts, but they "may share that information with a 3 party vendor." I'm worried

19. Hadron

VIP Member

App using airpush were banned from the Play Store at least a year ago.

If you worry you may still have some that use it, there are several apps that can be used to check. There's still a sticky thread about this at the top of this forum.

funkylogik and Unforgiven like this.
  20. haha yes I instantly downloaded airpush detector and removed battle cats... it was a fun game :'(. But thanks doe :D

21. Pretendo DS Emulator. This is legit but has airpush.

22. Hadron

VIP Member

If you downloaded it from the Play Store and it has Airpush then it is not legit. That was banned from the Play Store a long time ago.

I just looked at the recent reviews and they don't exactly encourage anyone to install it ;)