• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

List of GBoard voice commands?

Grrrrrrrrr

Feb 3, 2016
Does anybody know where I can find an official list of voice commands for Gboard?

You'd think this would be super easy to find with google yet, I can not find it :(

I've just started using the GBoard voice input as it's finally gotten good enough to be worthwhile yet I am stuck learning it by trial and error.

I figured out saying "enter" = the "Enter" key but I don't really want to blindly babble at my phone trying to figure out the rest of the commands.

I figured out if I say "Fifty four dollars and 21 cents" it properly translates it to "$54.21".

I can't figure out what to say to make it actually send a text I just dictated.

Gboard voice API hàs a voice recognition learning processor. The more you use it the better it becomes with that users voice. Unfortunately if you ever clear your cache in Chrome or in Gboard, it takes away some of it's learned recognized voice commands that has built up in your device memory. But from Googles main CPU that's connect to your account with recognize voices, it will continue to expand even after you've clear your cache on your device because it's connected to your account. But I'm not sure what Google does with that information if the account is deleted but if I know Google like I think I know Google it will connect the dots if that voice ever gets connected to other account.

Upvote 0
I"m sorry to be rude but did you even read my question?

I don't have any issue with my device recognizing what I am saying. It is the fact that it does it so good now that makes me want to actually use it.

I want to know what words will result in an action. Example: When I say "Enter" the word is not written as text, the result is the same action as pushing the enter key.

Reactions: tanitani
Upvote 0
Any luck? A G search finds nothing useful - some outdated articles with just a few commands, some "Dummies" books for phones that have a tiny section on Gboard, also old. I have a long list of commands, figured out by trial & error, from another voice-to-text app I used to have & am going to try those on Gboard to see if any work. I would be happy to share, once I do the comparison, if you're interested & haven't found anything else. It would make a very long post here & I haven't been on these forums enough to know what the rules are. Is there a method of private messaging?

Upvote 0
I"m sorry to be rude but did you even read my question?

I don't have any issue with my device recognizing what I am saying. It is the fact that it does it so good now that makes me want to actually use it.

I want to know what words will result in an action. Example: When I say "Enter" the word is not written as text, the result is the same action as pushing the enter key.

No there is no list but did you understand my answer on how Google voice recognition API works is the real question..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No there is no list but did you understand my answer on how Google voice recognition API works is the real question..

How it works, technically, is rather irrelevant to the original question. The question is how does the customer use it, make it work.

Just as there are specific keys on a keyboard to tap to get certain symbols and punctuation marks, there should be standard terms, published, to use in a voice - 2 - text app in order to get those same marks on the screen. paragraph paragraph inter

An article online had a list of almost 20 commands quotation mark guaranteed quotation mark to work and only about 6 do.

John Doe at sign amazon.com

the following symbols do not work colon the following symbols do not work colon the following commands do not work semicolon
the following commands do not work! Android forums.com forward slash

open parenthesis now you can see that this doesn't work well at all close parenthesis

Reactions: tanitani
Upvote 0
How it works, technically, is rather irrelevant to the original question. The question is how does the customer use it, make it work.

Just as there are specific keys on a keyboard to tap to get certain symbols and punctuation marks, there should be standard terms, published, to use in a voice - 2 - text app in order to get those same marks on the screen. paragraph paragraph inter

An article online had a list of almost 20 commands quotation mark guaranteed quotation mark to work and only about 6 do.

John Doe at sign amazon.com

the following symbols do not work colon the following symbols do not work colon the following commands do not work semicolon
the following commands do not work! Android forums.com forward slash

open parenthesis now you can see that this doesn't work well at all close parenthesis

Please share the device you are using, because older devices under 5.0 seem to work totally different then the new operating systems like 6.0+ works as I try to explain to you. There is no set language or list of command words to use Google Voice after the above operating system of 6.0+

Upvote 0
How about a more direct question?

I use "Messages" by google for texting. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

When I send a text, I tap a recipient from my list, a windows opens with my previous text history with that contact, and an input box. I tap the input box and my Gboard comes up, it has a microphone icon in the top right corner.

I tap the microphone and wait until I see "Listening". I say the words I want to text and they magically appear on the screen. If I want to begin a new sentnce I say "enter" and it ends the current sentence and begins a new one.

Now, here's the question. When I am done dictating the text I wish to send, what do I "say" to send it?

Upvote 0
Did you EVER get an answer to your original question? I read and understood it, and am looking for the same info.

How about a more direct question?

I use "Messages" by google for texting. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

When I send a text, I tap a recipient from my list, a windows opens with my previous text history with that contact, and an input box. I tap the input box and my Gboard comes up, it has a microphone icon in the top right corner.

I tap the microphone and wait until I see "Listening". I say the words I want to text and they magically appear on the screen. If I want to begin a new sentnce I say "enter" and it ends the current sentence and begins a new one.

Now, here's the question. When I am done dictating the text I wish to send, what do I "say" to send it?

Upvote 0
Did you EVER get an answer to your original question? I read and understood it, and am looking for the same info.
Nope, never did. You have to let the phone teach you :(
I don't use Gboard, and I don't use voice commands, but I find this absolutely ridiculous! Incredible, really. :eek:

It's such an obvious...thing! How can Google just omit it from its documentation? You're really just stuck throwing commands at it and hoping one sticks? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones