• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

List your biggest complaints about Thunderbolt

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my battery only lasts for about 6 hours with minimal usage and talk time. I have the extended life battery as well. I have ADV task manager. This could be a deal breaker for me... Like the phone otherwise... FYI, the HTC Thunderbolt Snyc program (you can DL from HTC.com) works really well if you use Outlook and need to sync Contacts and Calendars... That was a BIG plus.

Upvote 0
My biggest complaint is that I cannot use my TB because Verizon had some sort of system fart and the damn thing is updating as we speak and I cannot activate it.

Boo, I am a sad ass panda.

Other than that I am so far thrilled with the phone, way lighter than anticipated. I guess the good side is that I will get the thing fully charge before anything happens.

Upvote 0
How come NFL mobile does not work on the TB? My boyfriend and I are big NFL fans and are looking forward to getting smartphones so that we can always be updated. When I went to VZW the lady told me the app did not work on the sample phone because you have to pay for it and it did not have a subscription. Is this true? You would think since it is a VZW app it would be compatible with all of the phones. I thought it was free, but regardless of if it is or not I would love to see it up and running on the TB.

Upvote 0
The biggest and nearly only issue for me is video recording, the audio is terrible. I would really like to take videos of the kids but you can barely hear them!

one thing that could help is to make sure your hand or finger isn't covering the mic on the bottom of the phone. i've found that if i hold the phone naturally while recording videos part of my hand will cover the mic. same thing used to happen with my incredible.

Upvote 0
here is my list...coming from an incredible

1. this is the only big one, and could be a deal breaker if not solved soon. i jump from 4g to 3g to 1x to nothing pretty regularly. at one point i had no data for over a hour and had to do a factory reset to get it back. i've had this phone less than 24hrs and as far as data, it has been very unreliable

2. volume button is huge. hit the volume down all the time by accident. (not a big deal)

3. sms seems to take much longer than any other phone i've used to send out (no big deal as long as it sends but it is a bit worrying when a text takes 20-30 sec to send when it typically takes 1-2)

edit: just did a count. 58 sec for it to send out

4. light leaking a the bottom of the screen is annoying. i also think i have 2 tiny pin size light leaks in the soft button areas but i'm not investigating too closely bc it'll really bother me if i find them.

other than that i'm pretty happy with the phone. very fast compared to the inc, and the body doesn't squeak every time you touch it

Upvote 0
My biggest and pretty much ONLY complaint about this phone, would have to be with the extended battery door.
I'm pretty sure everyone that has the extended battery knows - but it just doesn't seem to fit right! It squeaks and wobbles SO easily, and it feels SOOO cheap! I find myself sticking pieces of paper\card-stock in-between the battery and the door, to put pressure on it so it doesn't squeak - which IS helping, but there is still some squeak. Which I don't like.

Upvote 0
My BIGGEST COMPLAINT is that mine keeps asking me to pick a default launcher. Almost every time I exit an app it asks me this. I'm getting very annoyed by it and can't seem to make it stop. I've gone into my launcher settings and cleared defaults and then selected ADW the next time it came up, but it still keeps popping up.

Any reason why this keeps happening??

This isn't the TB that's doing it, it's the launcher app that you downloaded from the market. You should have an option when on the screen that you select ADW from to make it the default or use this each time. Check that and it should use ADW from now on. If not then dump ADW and either use the stock launcher or find another launcher on the market.

Upvote 0
here is my list...coming from an incredible

1. this is the only big one, and could be a deal breaker if not solved soon. i jump from 4g to 3g to 1x to nothing pretty regularly. at one point i had no data for over a hour and had to do a factory reset to get it back. i've had this phone less than 24hrs and as far as data, it has been very unreliable

2. volume button is huge. hit the volume down all the time by accident. (not a big deal)

3. sms seems to take much longer than any other phone i've used to send out (no big deal as long as it sends but it is a bit worrying when a text takes 20-30 sec to send when it typically takes 1-2)

edit: just did a count. 58 sec for it to send out

4. light leaking a the bottom of the screen is annoying. i also think i have 2 tiny pin size light leaks in the soft button areas but i'm not investigating too closely bc it'll really bother me if i find them.

other than that i'm pretty happy with the phone. very fast compared to the inc, and the body doesn't squeak every time you touch it

Radio flopping can hurt battery life.

Upvote 0
Complaints:

Top shade pull down not as responsive sometime....
No stock Drrroooooiidddd Alert (yeah im diggin here, plus I added one)

How about if I just say where it better than others:

Better battery than Pro and Devour...
NO BLUR!!
Dont have to download a fake sense clock, I have real one...
Dont have to use a seperate launcher, this one fine...
Dont have to get handscent cause I already have the message (icon with count) widget...
Great screen size and camera may be first to pass my beloved X....
Friend Stream is better than most other social widgets ( Socialite / Blur)
Smart contact linking by Sense...

All I can think of...

Upvote 0
Thunderbolt:
  1. My radios keep getting stuck or something. My GPS will loose a signal, and not get it back until I cycle it. Same with the bluetooth and wifi. Im not sure if the 3g/4g have this problem too.
  2. Sense seems to force close once or twice a day, typically when I am closing the internet or a video. I made the switch to launcher pro and it has stopped crashing.(some apps force close a lot too but I can't attribute that to the TB)
  3. As others have mentioned, light comes in from under the capacitive buttons. and the kickstand affects the speaker and can't be used while plugged in.
  4. The ear piece speaker is REALLY loud even when on the lowest setting while the speaker phone speaker is REALLY quiet on even the highest settings. I have trouble distinguishing which one is on, have to put my ear to one of the speakers.
  5. Also, others have mentioned a problem with the quick start thing. I am having the same problem. It works when connected to wifi or 4g, but doesn't when connect to just 3g.
  6. I think I saw this elsewhere too, but the picture quality on the caller ID and contact details is really low even though I took some of them with the phone and got some from Facebook.

Android OS:
  • kind of annoying, and probably just a software/android thing, but the volume rocker should be reversed when in landscape: right should be to increase the volume and left, decrease.

Other:
  • While I can't really attribute it to the phone again, I scratched my screen the second or third day I had it. I honestly think it was a defect in the screen because I baby the hell out of the thing and even gave it its own pocket. I know for a fact I never dropped it and even if something hard brushed against it, it should not have scratched that easily. Anyone know the quality of the glass on it?
  • Oh yea, and its not an iPhone 4!

Should I bring it back to the store and see what they can do or am I being too picky? Aside from these problem, I really love the thing, it is amazing. And when I was in 4g, it was stupid fast.

Upvote 0
I have no complaints about this phone what so ever. I live in a 3G only area so by the time 4G is up here, i will be on my next phone anyway. If i had one gripe about this phone, i would say for me, its removing the battery cover. I feel like i tearing up the backing when i try to remove it. Maybe there is a trick to getting it off that i don't know, but other than that, this phone is great for me. Battery has performed better than i expected, an if it gets to be a problem, then i will get another battery with a dock to charge a secondary battery or extended battery an go on.

Upvote 0
Thunderbolt:
  1. My radios keep getting stuck or something. My GPS will loose a signal, and not get it back until I cycle it. Same with the bluetooth and wifi. Im not sure if the 3g/4g have this problem too.

1. Just talked to Verizon about this and they said that it was a because when you have wifi on, it won't switch between 4g and 3g so I just have to turn wifi off. I asked how this helps me with the problem of having to change my settings every time this happens, and she just told me to leave wifi off unless I absolutely need it as it takes up a lot of battery anyway...

Also asked her about the fast boot thing and she said that fast boot is a master reset that takes 10-30 seconds... Am I crazy or is the fast boot just a quick way to turn the phone on and off?

Upvote 0
Just talked to Verizon about this and they said that it was a because when you have wifi on, it won't switch between 4g and 3g so I just have to turn wifi off. I asked how this helps me with the problem of having to change my settings every time this happens, and she just told me to leave wifi off unless I absolutely need it as it takes up a lot of battery anyway...

Also asked her about the fast boot thing and she said that fast boot is a master reset that takes 10-30 seconds... Am I crazy or is the fast boot just a quick way to turn the phone on and off?

Wow you got a real weiner there

Upvote 0
Wow you got a real weiner there

"Verizon tech support, leaving you with more questions than you had to begin with, how may I confuse help you?"

Gotta be careful though, she answered a question I had about a different phone by referencing android central.

I should add verizon tech support to the list of things I dont like about the thunderbolt.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones