1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

listening to dab radio?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by davo26, Apr 19, 2012.

1. davo26

davo26 Android Enthusiast

hi

ive got the 'tune-in' radio app which seems ok if i stay in one place, but drops signal if im commuting. so i thought id try intrenet streaming as i get unlimited data with giffgaff.

i went to the bbc site, 6 music, and pressed 'listen live'. but nothing happens. am i missing a plug in or something?

or will it be nowhere near as good as buffering through the app anyway?

thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I think you have a few things mixed up. As I understand it, DAB is still radio wave based, like FM, but it is encoded in such a way that it is a digital signal, not analogue. I.e. DAB is not the same as an internet stream. Unfortunately, the Desire HD only has an FM receiver, not DAB.

However, as far as I'm aware, Tune-in is internet streams only and does not make use of the FM receiver. So if you're getting a flaky signal, I'm afraid that's your 3G conntection and streaming it from their site won't make a difference. (It probably is a plugin issue though - it appears to be a flash based player, so it wouldn't surprise me that it's temperamental on our phones).

What you could try is going to Tune-in's settings and increasing the buffer length from the default of 5 seconds to the max of 30 seconds. There will be a longer delay when you first hit play, but that would make drops in signal less noticeable, so long as they weren't too long :)

john_g and D-U-R-X like this.
  3. davo26

davo26 Android Enthusiast

thanks mate, i understand that now. however, i tried changing the buffer to its max and it still only lasts 10 mins before cutting out :-(

cheers

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews