• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Little confused about 2 things...

flyinjoe13

Android Enthusiast
May 18, 2010
Couple of things that always puzzled me, but was too embarassed to ask. Decided to ask finally.

1.) The only reason I rooted my phone was so I could remove a bunch of the stock apps. I thought this would do 2 things, keep some unwanted apps from loading on startup to help performance and also increase my phones internal phone storage so I could install more apps. It did help with the first part, but not the second. With every app I've removed, including ThinkFree Office which is the biggest one, my internal phone storage amount has never increased under the SD card and phone storage settings. Is that normal? Are stock apps stored under a different kind of memory\storage space wherein removing them doesn't really do anything for the amount of apps you can have?

2.) I keep reading about how you should be clearing cache before installing ROMS. Since I don't install ROMS, is this something I don't need to worry about? Or would clearing the phones cache be a good thing to do even if you don't use ROMS?

3.) Kind of goes with my second question. Since i'm probably going to unroot my phone and manually install the V6\V8 update before installing the new update, do I need to clear these cache files before doing so even if I haven't installed any ROMS?

Oops, guess i'm confused about 3 things. :)

Thanks for any input....

1st Question:
Stock apps are installed in /system/app
Any other app is installed in /data/app

2nd Question:
You don't have to worry about clearing cache or wiping data, since this only applies to those who install non-stock roms.

3rd Question:
No you do not need to worry about clearing cache or wiping data when flashing back to V6. However, why are you going to flash back to V6/V8 Unrooted before installing this new update?

Hope i answered your questions!

Reactions: flyinjoe13
Upvote 0
So I guess removing all of the stock apps really doesn't help with anything like I had hoped. Wish there was a way to get that storage space back from the stock apps to use for market apps. Oh well, still helped with overall phone performance I guess. Had I known that I wouldn't have removed ThinkFree Office though because I kind of liked that program but thought I could use the extra space for apps I used more often. Anyone have the .apk file for it? Or would reinstalling it actually eat up my internal space since it would get reinstalled under data/app?

I thought I had to unroot the phone to install the update. And since I removed some stock apps, I was worried that would screw up the installation of the new update. If it won't, then I won't worry about it.

Thanks for the answers..

Upvote 0
i actually have the apk on my sd card and you can put it in /system/app

ill upload the file and type up the instructions here in a bit

Update:

Apk here: thinkdroid.zip
extract zip file and place apk on root of sd card

open command prompt, switch to directory with sdk and type:

Code:
adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

cat /sdcard/thinkdroid.apk > /system/app/thinkdroid.apk

reboot
that should do it. if you run into any issues, let me know

Reactions: flyinjoe13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones