1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Little help please!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aaronstrong, Jun 10, 2011.

1. aaronstrong

aaronstrong Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Nebraska
    Going to root a friends phone and get roms and kernals on it. I have a DX as of right now with roms and stuff so im not new to the rooting process. But i am new to the kernals and roms that have to work together? Do you have to be on 2.2 for all of these roms? Is CM7 the best rom out there? Looking for good performance and battery for her as she is new to all of this and i dont want it to be to overwhelming. Easy to use rom's that dont have any problems. And most of all i dont want to brick her phone, so i have been doing a little research on how to do all of this but have not seen anything for RSDLite(if you can use that on the DINC i really dont know). Thanks for any help that comes my way it will be greatly appreciated, and probably more questions to follow. :D

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    The dx and inc root process/rom process are VERY different.

CM7 is a great rom, but not completely bug free.

The most stable roms are "sense" roms. "Liberation" and "Virtuous" are the most stock rom, so therefore most stable, and a good starting point.

Roms always come bundled with a kernel. You can flash another custom kernel after the initial rom. But not really necessary.

Every rom you can find out there for the incredible is compatible. Any prerequisites will be listed on the rom download page. But any currently unrooted incredible will meet those requirements.

**And it also should be stated that the incredible is an AMAZING phone even in an unrooted state. The only reason I rooted my phone is just because I like to tinker with things.**

http://unrevoked.com for the root process

3. aaronstrong

None

Jul 24, 2010
    Nebraska
    one more question. So i root, can i flash any rom onto the phone? Or do i have to be running a certain radio or android version?

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Any current rom you can find for the incredible will work, with generally nothing else extra to flash, unless otherwise stated on the rom's support thread. The phone will run whatever version of android the rom is (either 2.2 or 2.3) doesn't matter what version of android you are coming from. A completely stock(right out of the box) incredible runs android 2.2 with "sense 1.0".

There is generally no radio requirements for any rom. The phone is most likely running the most current officially released radio(2.15.00.7.28)

There has only been two official radios for the incredible. The original radio was only around till august of 2010.

aaronstrong likes this.
  5. aaronstrong

None

Jul 24, 2010
    Nebraska
  6. andreezy

andreezy Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    i work
    Canton, OH
    This is just my opinion, which is worth jack...

If I were you, i'd root the incredible, and simple remove the bloatware... I wouldn't get too deep with roms, kernels and etc. Especially if you dont have full time access to that device, if/when something goes funny.

~~~~~~~~~~~

about the DX and its locked boot loader, I just had the extreme displeasure of re-loading my son's DX, due to the fact that he had root and accepted the new Gingerbread update, with took root away.

long story short, I spent about 10 hours learning the dx ropes. and did eventually re-obtain root status, but not till after restoring 2.1, then upgrading to a 2.3 gb (with root) rom.

Thankfull the htc incredible is waayyyyy easier to get root. any number of guides are available for your perusal.