• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

little "mini phone" that works over bluetooth with your Android phone?

xclr82xtc

Nov 16, 2009
so...what i was thinking, was, does anyone make like a little "mini phone" that works over blue tooth?

i was thinking something like that would be cool to have. leave your big x in the dock when you in the car, or on your desk, or somewhere out of harms way when you go to work, and just carry you lil "mini phone" with you in your pocket. make calls, and etc from it. i was thinkin something that looks like a small flip phone would be cool.

have any of you guys ever seen anything like that? or think it would be useless??

i cant wear earpeices and what not at work. i was just gonna get one, but boss lady said no. plus it would prolly get ruined anyway with coolant splashing on it and whatnot. that why i was thinking some simply flip type device for the pocket would be good. think of it as the smart phone being the "server" and the phone as a "client" when you really wanna get hard core go directly to the server, but for just answering calls/texts, use the client...

i know it sounds crazy, but for me, it would be very convienient just to leave my X on the dock and stick somethin in my pocket.

Upvote 0
I searched very hard and couldn't find anything as simple as connecting the two devices in a certain way. However, I did have one idea. I've used this plenty before, but I've never thought to necessarily use it in this way.

PdaNet free edition - Android app on AppBrain

PDANet allows you to tether devices to your phone and use its connection. I know that the PC software allows you to intercept SMS. I also know that connecting one Bluetooth device to another has some practicality, as it's often used for file transfer and management back and forth. What I don't know is how well connecting the, "mini," phone to your X via Bluetooth and PDANet will work, but I think it's worth a shot. The application is free, so give it a try. If it doesn't work for voice/SMS, I imagine the reason is because the application is only utilizing your X's 3G connection, and not the X1 connection.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

Upvote 0
i think it's a great idea for people who work in unfriendly environments. i work with metal and won't bring my droid in the shop because the speakers would be full of metal dust. so a little bluetooth or wifi mini phone that you could dial and text on would be very cool.

as do i. im a machinist/designer. Metal/coolant environment is definately not any good for phones.

I know what you are saying, but for me this would be useless. I do not work in unsafe environments, so carrying my Droid X around is no problem. But maybe this would be a good idea for construction workers and people like that.
:)

yeah i could see if you can carry your phone everywhere, but i would much rather leave mine in the break room, or my locker and i wont have to worry about ANYTHING happening to it. ...plus i could leave one in the kitchen and the other in the bed room and if it rings i can answer it either place...ya digg?

Upvote 0
Yeah I definitely get your reasoning for this. This is partly why I miss having GSM service. When I didn't want to bring my smart phone with me someplace for whatever reason, I'd just pop the sim into a cheap flip phone. I know you can do phone swaps online with Verizon but it sounds like a lot of hassle on a daily basis. I hope you end up finding something.

Upvote 0
Think about Google Voice -- which would unfortunately require giving everyone a new number -- but then you could buy a cheap prepaid phone and use that to make/receive calls when in a situation you couldn't use the Droid X.

The benefit is that all your callers (provided you went through Google Voice when calling) see only one number and would not know if you're calling from the Droid or the cheap prepaid.

Can text to/from the GV number too.

Upvote 0
just figured id update you here...i got one of these

Casio Mobile | G?zOne Brigade Tough & Rugged QWERTY Smart Phone

seems to be pretty tough, ill be using it standalone till my x gets here, then ill be using that primarily, with call forwarding during work hours to this one.

now just need to see if there is a way to do it automatically during certain hours of the day :D

thanks for all the help guys, maybe one day someone will make one of the bluetooth deals like i was talkign about.!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones