• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Live feed as American astronauts launch from the US

From ground level in the UK, with special equipment or at CERN? Just curious.

The last time I saw a clear full night sky was at a wedding in a farm field about 12 years ago!
Those skies don't stop by London.

you'd have to know the ISS trajectory / timings?

Is it visible naked?

Upvote 0
Where are they going,,?,
1200px-International_Space_Station_after_undocking_of_STS-132.jpg

Here.

Upvote 0
From ground level in the UK, with special equipment or at CERN? Just curious.

The last time I saw a clear full night sky was at a wedding in a farm field about 12 years ago!
Those skies don't stop by London.

you'd have to know the ISS trajectory / timings?

Is it visible naked?
Ground level from the UK (only a limited number of people are allowed on the CERN site at the moment, and I'm not one of them).

It's quite visible with the naked eye if you know when to look. Though it's only visible for a couple of hours after dusk and before dawn (you need the sky to be dark but the station to be in sunlight), and it doesn't always pass over during that window. On a good pass it can be the brightest thing in the sky apart fromo the moon. In fact I watched it again tonight. There are Android apps that will tell you when it will be visible from your current location, what direction, how bright, and I do have one on my phone.

I'm not sure whether I saw the SpaceX capsule as well: I know it was due around the same time as the ISS, but didn't have accurate information exactly where and when, soo while I did see something else around that time there are other satellites out there as well so I can't be certain that was it (while I've seen ISS often enough that I'm familiar with how it moves, so could probably ID it if I saw it even without knowing the schedule).

Upvote 0
Ground level from the UK (only a limited number of people are allowed on the CERN site at the moment, and I'm not one of them).

It's quite visible with the naked eye if you know when to look. Though it's only visible for a couple of hours after dusk and before dawn (you need the sky to be dark but the station to be in sunlight), and it doesn't always pass over during that window. On a good pass it can be the brightest thing in the sky apart fromo the moon. In fact I watched it again tonight. There are Android apps that will tell you when it will be visible from your current location, what direction, how bright, and I do have one on my phone.

I'm not sure whether I saw the SpaceX capsule as well: I know it was due around the same time as the ISS, but didn't have accurate information exactly where and when, soo while I did see something else around that time there are other satellites out there as well so I can't be certain that was it (while I've seen ISS often enough that I'm familiar with how it moves, so could probably ID it if I saw it even without knowing the schedule).

That's very interesting and helpful. Thank you.

I would love to see it once so I'll look for those apps when I'm in a good location and weather.

I don't know the future for the ISS (will search tomorrow,: not at 1am) but I hope it will be orbiting for a little while yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones