• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Live Wallpapers ROM for Hero?

Hyperchild

Feb 3, 2010
Hey,
I've had my Hero for 6 months now and since I saw the release of the N1, I have had a big lust for Live Wallpapers. I downloaded the official 2.1 update from HTC but as I suspected, no Live wallpapers. My Hero is rooted and I have searched for a good live wallpapers ROM but cannot find one. So i was wondering if there is a good ROM that allows me to have Live Wallpapers while still maintaining Sense UI and 2.1. But I want one thats stable and everything works well (VillainROM is perfect but Wi-Fi doesn't work).
Thanks, kyle

Hey,
I've had my Hero for 6 months now and since I saw the release of the N1, I have had a big lust for Live Wallpapers. I downloaded the official 2.1 update from HTC but as I suspected, no Live wallpapers. My Hero is rooted and I have searched for a good live wallpapers ROM but cannot find one. So i was wondering if there is a good ROM that allows me to have Live Wallpapers while still maintaining Sense UI and 2.1. But I want one thats stable and everything works well (VillainROM is perfect but Wi-Fi doesn't work).
Thanks, kyle

What radio is your phone on? I've tried most villain roms, and the wifi has always worked. have you tried finding a solution to the wifi problem?
Sadly, livewallpapers is probably going to be one of the few things that never works 100% on the hero.

Which rom is installed on your phone?

Upvote 0
What radio is your phone on? I've tried most villain roms, and the wifi has always worked. have you tried finding a solution to the wifi problem?
Sadly, livewallpapers is probably going to be one of the few things that never works 100% on the hero.

Which rom is installed on your phone?

Really? most people have warned me not to use VillainRom 5.5.0 because Wi-Fi doesn't work. It doesn't matter though, official 2.1 is fine, thanks anyway.....

Upvote 0
Really? most people have warned me not to use VillainRom 5.5.0 because Wi-Fi doesn't work. It doesn't matter though, official 2.1 is fine, thanks anyway.....

to be honest, I would also advise against using villain 5.5. Most because VR12 is out, and its about the most complete rom around. Based on the official 2.1 but with some tweaks.

Just so you know I'm not some fanboy blindly loyal to the villain brand, I did use the sensehero rom for quite a while, its only recently I've thought the villain roms were upto scratch. And before villain froyo, I used Cyanogem CM6, and before that, VR12. Wifi is probably the last thing I ever had trouble with, on any rom.

Upvote 0
I think all the roms that have enabled live wallpapers are still limited in that:
  1. Only 2D LWP work, 3D works, but only until some other 3D program makes use of OpenGL, or your phone goes idle, the it reverts back to the last regular wallpaper.
  2. Of the working 2D LWP, many stay constantly running, so your battery drains like crazy, especially if you're o/c. Some I've tried have drained almost 1% each minute.
That being said, there are a small number LWP that work well, and you might like them better than just a standard image. I know it's sad that the nicer looking ones don't work tho... I really likee the koi LWP.

Of the 2D ones that I've gotten working, the only 2 that weren't a battery drain were Matrix Live and Shake 'em Up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones