1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Living with my HTC Desire, obtained 09/02/2011

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DemonTraitor, Feb 14, 2011.

1. DemonTraitor

DemonTraitor Newbie

Hi everyone.

After having my HTC Desire for 5 days now, I would just like to share my thoughts so far, coming from living with Nokia's for the past several years....

Firstly, did I have a shock with the battery life, after a nights charge, it last from 08:30 to 15:30, with some txting, some short browsing using 3G (not WiFi) etc, just the normal stuff I done on my Nokia E71, which lasted me about 2 days.

but after trawling through tons of threads, I found some tricks to try. Ok, I was a bit pissed that I spent most of the first few days trying to get the Desire to stay alive for more than a few hours, but I persevered, and I am about 88% decided to keep the phone (I have until 23rd Feb to decide).

These are the tricks I found...

A) Firstly, I formatted the SD card, and then factory reset the phone.
    I then found a almost laughable thread....

B) "1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double"

Anyway, I did this, and since doing all of the above, the battery life has indeed increased. It is lasting me a day, but I am using WiFi a lot, installing apps etc... I have yet to see how it copes with a normal, txting, phone calls, the odd browse etc...

Anyway, apart from the battery life problems, I love the phone to pieces - it is a little bundle of everything, and it really feels like I have my whole life in my pocket.. friends, messages, notes, emails, pictures.... all so very nicely linked and shared. I love it.

The things I miss about my Nokia etc....

1. Nokia PC Suite... Simply fantastic. I would love to be able to plug-in/bluetooth my phone and send/receive stuff through my computer. When at home, my Nokia would be plugged in the PC, and I would do all my txting through the PC - so much quicker. Still not used to the touchscreen typing yet...

2. The E71 WiFi was always on-demand. It lay completely dormant until you needed it. If you used any app that wanted the internet, the E71 would ask you how would you like to connect... Search for WiFi, a specific Access Point, or WAP? I think all phones should work like this, instead of having to turn WiFi off and on all the time. As soon as you closed the app (like a browser), WiFi would go back to sleep. Apps had the options in their connection method settings.. "Always Ask", or a specific access point, or WAP". This method is flawless. Email and Friends Stream can sync via WAP, and things like Market, Facebook, Browser etc can pop-up the question :)

Please Android... WE NEED THIS!

3. My desire is way too easy to turn on. Turning off is great - you have to hold the Power button for a second or so, and then you get the option to turn off. However, when off, if I just knock the power button (that is not recessed), one quick press, and the phone powers up. This could do with a 2-second delay to avoid accidental turning on..

4. Task Killers - what a conundrum... Being a developer, I understand how Android may not need to shut things down. Holding down the HOME key to bring up the Task Switcher, or using a Task Killer to display "apps that are running" probably only shows a footprint of apps you have used, and does not scream "battery sucker" to me. Although, Not completely understanding Android (not dived into it yet), I have no real idea what is going on lol.

Anyway, I think the main question of whether you need a task killer is...
    "if you are browsing on the net, or looking at facebook, and you press the HOME key, what happens to that app? Does the app have a snapshot in it's current state saved to memory, and then frozen/closed? or does the app stay running in the background?" (I suppose this can be tested by opening a browser, loading a page, and before the page loads, press the HOME key, wait 30 seconds, go back to the browser and see if the page is loaded, or updated etc?. Or, is the whole process frozen and stored to memory, and then woken again when you switch back to it? The answer to this question, will tell you whether you need a task killer.

I have used ASTRO to check running processes, and have not spotted any background tasks that are using CPU, and thus power.

I would assume it is the running SERVICES are the ones you need to watch...

I have noticed on power-up that launching Advanced Task-Killer shows me a long list of various apps I have installed ColourNote", "CalendarPad", "FM Radio"????, and at a wild guess, I would say these are "footprints" of apps that have to check themselves to see if there are any alarms (of appointments) to show etc, and then closed and left sleeping?

...and Task Killer is wrongly showing them as actual active tasks?

Anyway, I am tired, and am probably not making any sense at all. So I will say goodnight and see you in tut-morning. Sorry for the drone lol.

In a nutshell, the HTC Desire... :eek: :D :D :thinking: :cool: :thinking: :D :) :) :thinking:

Demon

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

Perhaps you meant to post this in the Desire forum, not the apps forum? HTC Desire - Android Forums
    The battery life will improve after a few days. Also, it highly depends on your usage habits. See the post in my signature about battery. It's for the EVO, but I have a desire myself and that information is very useful.
    There are apps for this. Personally, I use Google Voice and send SMS from the web interface or though Gmail.

Look here: Send SMS from PC through Android Phone - Super User
    Again, there are apps that help you manage Wifi. The great thing about Android is that these things are not FORCED on you as the ONLY way to manage or do something. There isn't only 1 way to do something, and people want different things. Having separate installable apps allows you to customize your phone more.

So, I disagree that these things should be included in Android. If you want it, download the app. Don't fill up my phone with things that you ASSUME I want.

I use Tasker to control my Wifi connections. Perhaps others can suggest a simpler app for your purpose though.
    Never had this problem. Maybe if you use a case that will offer a bit of resistance to prevent accidental button presses.

Honestly, though, when do you ever want your phone to be off? :D
    Don't use a Task Killer. Simple.

This article should help explain it. If you are coming from a computer that is Windows-based, you need to learn how Android works if you want to understand.

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

Good luck. Many of us were overwhelmed at first too. It's a powerful device, and it takes time and tinkering to learn all of it's potential.

3. Bang Bang Boom

Bang Bang Boom Well-Known Member

I also love my desire, I have two batteries so.at the moment nut all that bothered about power