• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Loaded a ICS ROM for my HTC EVO 4g

WillWood

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
I recently loaded ICS onto my HTC EVO 4g, and using HBOOT recovery, I am unable to restore my backup, which I did rename. I am now revecing and MD5 mismatch, when I try and restore, from HBOOT recovery, using clockwork. How can I restore my phone back to the factory standard?

I recently loaded ICS onto my HTC EVO 4g, and using HBOOT recovery, I am unable to restore my backup, which I did rename. I am now revecing and MD5 mismatch, when I try and restore, from HBOOT recovery, using clockwork. How can I restore my phone back to the factory standard?
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what did you rename the rom to? make sure that there is no weird symbols and no spaces in the name. you might want to switch to amon ra recovery.

and to clarify some terminology, clockwork mod is you recovery. there is no hboot recovery. hboot is also known as the bootloader.

if the nandroid backup is corrupted (which can happen) then you might need to flash another rom. in clockwork mod recovery you can access your card by selecting mounts and storage and then selecting mount usb storage. now you can move the rom file to the sd card and flash a rom.

Upvote 0
Thank you and I am glad that you responded!!

Under the ClockworkMod Recovery, (Choose an image to restore)
I backed up and flashed my default system, and the program named it:
-2011-12-29.03.29.13/ and to make it more simple (so I assumed) I renamed the file to: Original_HTC_EVO-4g_Sense_(Factory_Deafult)/

Both files will display an MD5 mismatch!, when selected for restore. I understand how to mount the USB, in the recovery mode; however, I am lost there after. I do not know how to move or edit the file. or how to acess the SD, in order to fix the MD5 mismatch issue.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Upvote 0
From what I remember (before switching to amon ra):
- When you made a backup with Clockworkmod it creates a folder with a bunch files and a md5 file.
- If you rename the file, you'll get a md5 mismatch
- Rename the folder back to the original name
- Place the backup where clockworkmod can find it, which is "sdcard\clockworkmod\backup"

So (based on what I can remember):
- Connect your Evo (can your Evo boot completely?) to your PC so you can get to your "sdcard" folder.
If it can't boot you'll have to play around with the mounting in Clockworkmod recovery.
Go here

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...-and-how-to-use-it-on-android-complete-guide/

- Rename your backup to original ("2011-12-29.03.29.13") in OS of your choice.
- Paste this folder into this folder "sdcard\clockworkmod\backup\"

- Restart Evo to Hboot
- Go to Recovery
- Restore your backup.

I hope that helps.

BTW I switched from Clockworkmod to Amon Ra because of this

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/361197-cant-mount-dev-block-mmcblk0p2.html

Reactions: ocnbrze and andygu3
Upvote 0
Thank you and I am glad that you responded!!

Under the ClockworkMod Recovery, (Choose an image to restore)
I backed up and flashed my default system, and the program named it:
-2011-12-29.03.29.13/ and to make it more simple (so I assumed) I renamed the file to: Original_HTC_EVO-4g_Sense_(Factory_Deafult)/

Both files will display an MD5 mismatch!, when selected for restore. I understand how to mount the USB, in the recovery mode; however, I am lost there after. I do not know how to move or edit the file. or how to acess the SD, in order to fix the MD5 mismatch issue.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Some people do rename their nandroids but in my opinion, it's not advised to do so. Especially since you are using Clockwork as your recovery.

As far as the MD5 mismatch, did you make the nandroid and transfer the nandroid to your computer? If you did, did you also rename that nandroid, or did you leave as is? If you left as is, transfer that nandroid back to your sdcard and try to restore the nandroid. I know there are a couple of threads on xda on how to correct MD5 mismatches but my first suggestion would be to change your recovery to Amon Ra v2.3 or I highly recommend using the newer (and better, imo) Amon Ra Style recovery. The AR Style recovery will allow you to restore ClockworkMod nandroids as well as Amon Ra nandroids.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones