• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Loading a rom

Beatlesfan

Apr 12, 2010
I rooted last night and installed hyrda kernel. Everything worked just fine. I now want to try to load up cyanogen and give it a try. My question is, if I don't like it, can I revert back to how I have it now? Also, once I load cyanogen, will I still have all of my apps, contacts, pics, etc? Thanks for the help!

Contacts are typically a function of re-syncing Google once you're up and running on the new Rom. Any pics on the SD card are a no-brainer because anything on the card is unaffected.

I suggest doing yourself a major favor and buy Titanium Backup. Then you have a 2nd line of defense that backs up everything and allows one click restore of all apps & data when flashing roms.

The ace in the hole is the nand backup. If anything goes south, you can always return to where you just came from.

Upvote 0
I've got Titanium, thanks. I loaded cyanogen, and am now in the process of restoring my apps/data. If I don't care for it is there a way I can go back to just how I had it before? Or do I have to wipe and start fresh?

Nandroid restore brings it back to how it was before. It does all the work, no additional step required by the user.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones