1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Loading Dialog is not being displayed

Discussion in 'Application Development' started by wige, Feb 12, 2010.

1. wige

wige Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Director of IT
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I am creating an app that allows the user to send a request to a web server to create an update. Between the request being sent, and a response being received from the server, I want to display a loading message to the user. I have tried several methods to accomplish this, the latest being using a thread to handle the server communication, with a call to display the loading dialog before the start of the thread. In no case have I been able to get it to work. The code I am using is here:

Code (Text):
    2. // Show the loading dialog
    3. //progressDialog = ProgressDialog.show(this, "", "Loading. Please wait...", true);
    4. progressDialog = new ProgressDialog(this);
    5. progressDialog.setMessage("Loading. Please wait...");
    6. progressDialog.show();
    8. // Create a thread to update the report
    9. updateThread = new UpdateThread(this.username, this.password, reportID, this);
    10. updateThread.run();
    The above code is in an Onclick method, being called when a button is pressed. progressDialog is a ProgressDialog, and updateThread is a private internal class.

Also, if I omit the updateThread.run() line, so the application just hangs instead of running the thread, the loading message will display. However, if I actually run the thread, no dialog.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Advertisement