• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loading screen issue update?

Traviswf

May 16, 2010
I am trying to figure out if I should get the latest update, but it's hard to discern what the final word on this issue is. What is the conventional wisdom at the moment?

Should we wait until the issue is fixed before updating?
Is the issue fixed now, but requires a patch for people in the initial download group?
Or will you be fine if you download the update to a computer and not OTA?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Upvote 0
This was my only complaint about Gingerbread - I've worked with Tech Support and they are aware of it, and will have a patch soon. If it wont bother you go ahead and update all the other features are very nice

Disagree. There are other issues being reported in this (and other) forums with this update. And one poster said that Sprint is concerned enough about them that they've halted the rollout while investigating (not sure if that's correct, but that's what a poster in here says).

I'm waiting and NOT installing Gingerbread on the Shift for now.

Upvote 0
Disagree. There are other issues being reported in this (and other) forums with this update. And one poster said that Sprint is concerned enough about them that they've halted the rollout while investigating (not sure if that's correct, but that's what a poster in here says).

the only issue ive had with 2.3.3 is the loading screen issue and it only happens when i hit home from my internet browser instead of back. i have had NO other issues with any function of my phone since the update last friday

Upvote 0
As numerous users on multiple forums, I have experienced the LOADING issue. As a retired teacher with lots of free time, I played around with this trying to reach conclusions. I first discovered that whether I backed out properly or hit the HOME screen, it made no difference. No matter what app I was using and how I exited, it didn't change anything. It didn't matter how resource hungry the app was. When I left an app, it soft-booted to the white HTC screen and then went to loading for 5-7 sec. I then tried the good old 1st step, and removed my battery. To my surprise, it was suddenly working fine. I did read that others did this, only to see the problem return. I made it two days and then was right back where I started, LOADING, LOADING, LOADING. I removed the battery and was back to GOOD. I just got off the phone with HTC support and was told they are working on a software update\fix but are very seriously beta testing it until they are sure the problem is fixed. Can't be soon enough!

Reactions: kbrn
Upvote 0

X2
the loading screen is NOT the only issue. I am among the small group that is experiencing other issues, my email no longer works. now using the yahoo mail droid app, which works MOST of the time, but not all the time; it occasionally has the issue that the oem mail app has after the update.
others are experiencing text-pic issues, and a few other random things.
i was experiencing the loading screen issue on occasion, but after a factory reset and reinstallation of all my apps, i havent seen the loading screen one single time since.

I say get the update. if you have issues, save everything to your pc, do a factory reset, then reinstall everything and load everything back from the pc. most likely you'll have 0 issues. even with the email glitch I'm having, I like gingerbread way better than 2.2. my gps is even 100% flawless now, which is perfect cuz I use it about 5-8 hours per day for work

Upvote 0
Well, it continues to be a serious issue. I make it 2 days and then must remove my battery. Hope the update is soon. Sounds like some are having really serious problems. Mine is just frustrating but switching the battery fixes it for a while. The unfortunate thing is that the really cool features of Gingerbread are sublimated because what I notice most is LOADING!

Upvote 0
from what I've gathered, almost everyone if not everyone that is having the loading screen issues are all using the oem sd card, while most if not all of the people that have installed larger sd cards are either having the issue much less often or not at all. I have a samsung 16gb sdhc card in my phone, and i only got the loading screen issue for the 1st day after installing the update, not 1 single time since the 2nd day of having it.

Upvote 0
Agreed. It's really not that big of a deal. It happens to me maybe six times a day, if that. And it's only a few seconds to wait until it loads.

Man...I had the Hero, and that thing was struggling to run 2.X. The constant "Loading..." screen and Sense restarts were driving me CRAZY, which is part of the reason I upgraded to the Shift. If this happened six times a day on the relatively new Shift, I'd be really pissed. One doesn't pay what we all pay for these devices and services to put up with that kind of bugginess.

I'm definitely waiting for Sprint/HTC to do an update to this Gingerbread update before even considering it. Not worth taking a chance this kind of nonsense returns. All my iPhone friends would laugh their butts of at me if I told them my Shift GUI reboots "only" six times per day...lol.

((Note to Moderator: Notice I didn't say their 'fatty' butts...!))

Upvote 0
I had the same problems after loading Gingerbread described by everyone else: the "HTC" screen, then the "Loading" for about 10 seconds.

But my phone works fine now. Go to "Settings" then "Power." Uncheck the "Fast Boot" box, then re-start your phone. Everything starts working normally again! At least it did for me. I now receive the benefits of the update without any slow-down or having to root my phone. Life is good again!

Reactions: TheThack
Upvote 0
I know this probably might not help a lot of people reading this thread but if you are rooted you can download an app called Auto Killer Memory Optimizer and change the settings in there. A dev or someone who has more knowledge than me (x99percent on XDA forums) says that the memory settings by HTC were too aggressive this update and when the phone detects too much memory is being used it will kill off Sense. You can set the numbers to 8, 12, 16, 24, 28, 32 which are the numbers Cyanogenmod uses in their rom and it supposedly works well.

I am not having this issue except when I close Plants vs Zombies so I haven't worried about it much. I also only use minimal widgets which might be why I don't have issues. If you load up on widgets it probably uses quite a bit more memory. Try removing a bunch of widgets if you use a lot and see if the issue is resolved.

One other big problem I have had is my HTC email app will not allow me to delete hotmail messages. They keep coming back as new and giving me notifications. I cannot believe something like that got through testing.

Upvote 0
from what I've gathered, almost everyone if not everyone that is having the loading screen issues are all using the oem sd card, while most if not all of the people that have installed larger sd cards are either having the issue much less often or not at all. I have a samsung 16gb sdhc card in my phone, and i only got the loading screen issue for the 1st day after installing the update, not 1 single time since the 2nd day of having it.

I have a 16 GB Kingston card and I get the loading screen at least 6-7 times a day.

Upvote 0
I had the same problems after loading Gingerbread described by everyone else: the "HTC" screen, then the "Loading" for about 10 seconds.

But my phone works fine now. Go to "Settings" then "Power." Uncheck the "Fast Boot" box, then re-start your phone. Everything starts working normally again! At least it did for me. I now receive the benefits of the update without any slow-down or having to root my phone. Life is good again!

Thank you Barry. This did the trick for me on te "HTC" screen plus another issue I had with Facebook photo notices not going away.

Upvote 0
I am never cautious, I updated the fist day. I saw the loading screen a few times. I uninstalled ZDbox, and it did it much less. I just now unchecked the fast boot and will see. I only see it a few times per day max, and the benefits far outweigh this one little delay. IMHO. Overall the phone is faster...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones