1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Loads of trouble with the latest Cyanogenmod nightly rom?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TylerG518, Nov 25, 2011.

1. TylerG518

TylerG518 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Ok, for anyone who will read this whole thing, i really appreciate it. For the info, i am an intermediate android user, i've had it for 3 years and slowly over time have learned more about it and loads of different things. So let me explain to you my problem with all my knowledge of android. I have a droid X with the stock android 2.3 update that was given to it a few months back. I have my phone rooted, but even under root i still stuck with the stock OS. Today I wanted to install a custom rom on it, looked around a bit, deciding what to use, and i decided on Cyanogenmod. I installed the latest Cyanogenmod Nightly build for the X on my SD card. That's where the trouble began, installed rom manager, Flashed Clockward, and went to install the rom. I told it to Wipe Data And Cache, and when it went to reboot into clockward mod, it just rebooted back into android, thought it was an error and rebooted quite a few times and tried doing it again, got the same issue. Realized i had to install bootstrap recovery. To avoid paying for the app I installed the apk for it online, installed Easy Installer on the market, and went into it and installed bootstrap. After that, went into clockward again and got the phone to go into it, it got all the way to the point where it was a success, but when it went to "open" the cyanogenmod file on the sd, i got "Can't Open /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-154.zip (bad)". Had to reboot phone, go through first time setup, installed rom manager, tried it again, got same thing, also tried by naming it "update" instead of the default name. So, that's where I am right now. What do I do?:eek:

Advertisement

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    Ok i noticed a couple of things that you need to do differently. I am going to assume your wanting to flash CM7forGB

Once your stock rooted here is the process you should take.

1. Install Droid 2 bootstrap. You can use Droid X bootstrap but just make sure that usb debugging in unchecked.

AS SOON AS YOU INSTALL D2 OR DX BOOTSTRAP BOOT INTO RECOVERY AND DO A BACKUP.

2. Download the latest CM7 that you want to use onto your pc.
    3. CHECK THE MD5 of the file you downloaded to the MD5 that is listed for that download from the download site. If it matches then you have a good download.
    4. Plug your phone into your PC and transfer the downloaded .zip to the sd card of your phone.
    5. Flash bootstrap , then boot into bootstrap recovery.
    6. Install zip from sd card, choose zip to install, select the CM7 download that you transferred on there. Select yes.
    7. Once its done do a factory data/reset
    8. Reboot phone
    9. After phone reboots click on your app drawer. Select Rom Manager, select "flash clockwork recovery, SELECT DROIDX 2ndINIT.

TylerG518 likes this.
  3. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    The next step.

1. Download the latest version of Gapps.
    2. Check the MD5.
    3. Put it on your sd card just like you did before.
    4. In rom manager select reboot into recovery.
    5. Install zip from SD.
    6. Select the Gapps .zip that you put on the sd card.
    7. Once its done reboot phone.

TylerG518 likes this.
  4. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    Now I'm not sure what the current status of your phone is. I assume your probably just still stock GB rooted.

Other people may do the procedure a little different that the how to that i gave you but that is how i've always done it and i've never had any problems.

TylerG518 likes this.
  5. TylerG518

TylerG518 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Thanks so much, looks like it will work, one question tho, What is the MD5 of the file? And do I have to flash a recovery using Clockword or Android Recovery? :)

6. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    cm_shadow_full-154.zip
    md5sum: bf12b18e431feb8d8070a85139c4748c

that is from the download page. The MD5sum is what you use to ensure that you got a good legit download and not a corrupt file. Once you download it look at the properties of the .zip and see if it matches the one that you downloaded from the site.

i don't understand this question..can you elaborate?

And do I have to flash a recovery using Clockword or Android Recovery?

7. TylerG518

TylerG518 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Sorry, asked the question wrong. I meant to say Do I need to make a backup using the Clockward Mod Recovery or Android's? Like I said I'm only so knowing about android so I may be asking a stupid question. Haha.

8. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    Its all good man there are no stupid questions in this stuff. The only way you learn is to ask questions so don't be afraid to ask.

As soon as you install D2 or DX bootstrap your going to select which ever one your using in the app drawer. Flash clockwork recovery "the first selection at the top"

then your going to reboot into recovery "the second selection from the top"

once it boots into recovery that is Clockwork. So volume down to backup/restore (or whatever it says) and select backup.

When you flash CM7 in the above steps that is the last time you will use D2 or the normal DX bootstrap/aka recovery. Once you've flashed CM7 ONLY USE THE 2ndINIT RECOVERY THAT YOU FLASH FROM WITHIN ROM MANAGER.

9. TylerG518

TylerG518 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Tried sending you a private message, not sure if you saw it.

Did everything you said, failed at whatever step :/ when it went to install the update, i got basicly the same error , but a little different.

Got "assert failed: run_program(" /t.mp/check_kernel")== 0
    E:Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-154.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

Know what the problem is? :-/ :(

10. griff_opie

griff_opie Newbie
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Sounds like you have the froyo build of CM7 and are trying to install it on the GB kernel or vice versa. If you are on stock GB, you need to make sure you have Rev Numbers GB version of CM7.

11. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Correct me if im wrong but isn't that a stock recovery error message?

12. trophynuts

None

Jul 6, 2010
    SouthEastern US
    OP which version of CM7 are you trying to flash?

13. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    if he said the file is cm_shadow_full-154.zip, I'd assume FroYo

14. TylerG518

TylerG518 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Ok guys, let me explain to you about my long stupid process i went through last night.

Ended up getting it on after all, turned out it was a froyo rom and could only be installed with froyo, so listen to this, I went to go SBF back to froyo, but I had Sbf files for both GB and Froyo on my computer from the past, so I was unsure what was what, so I ended up SBF'ing right to GB again, so after my INSANELY STUPID mistake, my phone rebooted back up with a fresh un-rooted GB -.-, oh, and then it decided to just die on me, because I kinda wore the battery out. So I ended up having to thus wait for it to charge to about 10%, turned it back on, actually activated it all over again, then put in usb and flashed back to froyo, then once the froyo flash was done, to my shock, it started up without me wiping data and cache, so when it was on, it was acting all funny and just wasnt operating right, so i went and wiped data and cache anyways, then i started it back up, ofcourse, activated it again, put in the usb, and rooted it with petes motorola tools, step 1 got done, and the phone rebooted, then when it started back up, the phone simply wouldnt detect the usb in, so i had to pull the usb and put it back in, step 2 got done, then the phone rebooted again, and to my shock, i had wasted the battery again, phone died, wouldnt turn on, was all screwy, and i ended up charging it to about 10% again, then i finally turned it back on, put in usb and when petes went to step 3 the root failed. So i had to do the root all over again. Root worked. Then my phone conviently decided to die again. Charged it to 30%, then I went and installed cyanogen, it ACTUALLY worked. Was so excited. Once I got into it, i ended up HATING the rom, it was very laggy on the X with the ADW launcher, and the keyboard for it was super screwy. So after all that trouble, I ended up SBFing right back to GB anyways, and I ended up getting to bed about 3 in the morning, isn't my life just great forum?

15. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Guess you didn't get the memo about only flashing with a full battery? :D

Try ICS MIUI (installs over GB 602/605), I bet you like that better. I love CM7 on my tablets, but not on my phone.

16. TylerG518

TylerG518 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Installed it last night, I must say, i absolutely love this ROM, best rom i've ever seen in my life, will continue to use :cool:

17. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I think my battery is better after the deep sleep fix. Ics Miui Test 1.11.9 - RootzWiki

Make a backup in recovery, flash the fix (updates a battery xml file) in recovery.