• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Local Calls appearing as Unknown Contact

chrisdoha

Apr 25, 2010
Hello All

Just received my Desire yesterday and I cant keep my hands off it. Anyways this is my problem...

Since I travel and change my SIM quite often, the nos. of my contacts have been saved with the country codes so that I dont have to keep adding digits when I have to make calls. So because of this when I receive Local Calls ie calls without country codes it says unknown contact even though this contact is saved in the phone.

Example: 00974 123456 is saved in my fone....00974 is the country code and phone no. is 123456. When i receive a local call from this no. it shows 123456, and hence the Desire is not recognizing the contact.

PS- All contacts are saved in phone memory.

Please help

Thanx
Chris

ive done some research and ive found out that this has happend before on the HTC touch diamond 2 and HTC released an update for this called caller id issue.

Anyways ive mailed HTC regarding this, but in the mean time can you please try this in your fone and let me know if its workin?

Do this- add a contact wit the country code, then in dialer, dial the no. of that contact bt witout the country code, jus lik how u wud make a local call. Check now if the fone is recognizing the contact.

Let me know

Upvote 0
I always store all numbers in international format as I travel a fair bit. +44......... always works fine for displaying contacts when they call. The problem you may be having is duplicate numbers. If, say, you have a number stored on your SIM as well as the phone memory, the phone doesn't know which one to display, so it doesn't display either. The same happens if say, your Mrs. calls from home, and you have the home number stored under your own contact details as well as hers. HTH

Upvote 0
well in my previous phones (and they r not at all smartphones).... suppose i have a no. saved as +974 123456...

+974- Country Code
123456- Local no.

When i dial 123456 its supposed to show me the contact, cos the phone shud kno how to differentiate..this is a really silly feature and is available in ny fone.

hav u tried doin the above?

Upvote 0
ive tried saving the nos. in evry possible way

+974123456
(+974)123456
+974-123456

None of them work. I gota reply from HTC support and he asked me to do a hard reset. Did that, but stil no use. I believe they shud release an update lik they did for the Touch Diamond 2

But this is gettin really annoyin as I don kno whose calling

Upvote 0
Hi Chris, I feel your pain. I'm using an HTC Legend (excellent phone btw) and I have the exact same problem. Also, we are not alone - http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/70605-htc-desire-sms-recieved-doesnt-show-senders-name.html

If you keep contacts with +974, SMS contact will show, but not caller.
If you keep contacts without +974, SMS contact will not show, but caller will.

Very frustrating. I've tried everything, with no result. From what I've read it's a general issue with Qatari networks, I'm guessing because Qatar has no dedicated prefix for mobile networks.

HOWEVER, since 99% of mobile phones can handle this "issue" I don't see why Android shouldn't be able to do the same. I've found the following link on HTC's support site which is supposed to be a fix, but it doesn't work - HTC Legend - How do I setup an extension number in a contact's information?

Where did you contact HTC? I think if more of us get through to them with the problem, a fix might be more likely. Then again, Qatar can't possibly be the only country with this kind of problem?

Firmware Version: 2.1
Kernel Version: 2.6.29-e3993620

Upvote 0
I've only contacted them today, was surprised not to be able to find the solution online.

Anyway, a temporary workaround would be adding both numbers for each contact, +974 1234567 and 1234567. Might sound like a pain, but it took me no more than 20mins to copy/paste it for all local numbers in Google Contacts, and then syncing it onto my phone. Should be even easier in a contact manager than can autofill values.

Upvote 0
I am also facing the same issue and i posted the thread HTC desire SMS recieved doesnt show senders name. I am in contact with HTC support, and as they said i tried soft/hard reset, inserted a single contact in phone memory.But not solved.
I also found that adding an extra number with +974 in every contact will show the contact name in SMS.
I found a writeup on SMS number formats SMS Gateway - FAQ, 1.4 SMS number formats. Please do post if found a solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones