1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Local DB (SQLite) vs. Remote DB (MySQL)

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Noamm91, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Noamm91

Noamm91 Lurker
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Hi,
    I'm working these days on my first app.
    The app will contain Database.
    The Database will contain about 30,000 records in 2-3 tables.
    The Database will contain textual data only (no pictures , videos , etc).
    All users should have the same database.
    users will have the ability to add / delete records to and from the database.

I'm not sure what is the right way to implement this database (and would like to hear your advices).

is it possible to use SQLite to implement this? I mean as far as I know , SQLite is for having Local DB so on one hand it will be faster than a remote (internet) DB but on the other hand I will have to make my app "talk" in some way with an internet DB (or other way???) that will combine all the changes that users make in their local version and after combing them users will have to update the app in order to gain the combined-updated DB on thier device. Is there a better way to get what I want using SQLite?
    I'm already have some knowledge on SQLite and this is one of the reasons why I would like to work with it if it make sense.

The other option is to work with MySQL , meaning - building an internet DB (I have no clue how to do so) and make users work with this DB from the app (required internet connection ofcourse) what will be slower.

I would like to hear from you:
    1. Am I missing something about the pros and cons of local vs remote?
    2. which implementation do you think is better in my case? (and why)
    3. I have no expirence what so ever with MySQL - is it complicated compared to SQLite? Does Android Studio has build-in classes for communicating with such DB (like it has with SQLite)?
    4. Are there any better DB-tools to use rather than SQLite and MySQL? These are the only 2 I've seen so far but I'm guessing there are more.

Thank you in advance,
    Noam

Advertisement

#1 Noamm91, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    1. If your app needs to sync with a shared database, you have no option other than to provide a central database on a server.
    2. Server based database (MySQL).
    3. MySQL probably has more features than SQLite, but the query syntax is more or less the same.
    4. There are other open source databases you can use on the server. You are free to use whichever you like. But MySQL is a good database.

3. Noamm91

Noamm91 Lurker
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Once again, thank you