• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Local Walmart and Best Buy have plenty of EVO

First post here, but I'm trying to grab one at Radio Shack as the Best Buy near me doesn't sell Sprint (but they have a dummy phone of the Evo at an HTC display which makes no sense). The radioshack next door MIGHT be getting some in tomorrow and the guy said he would hold one for me. I'm hoping it comes in. I'm using an iPhone 3GS and am really starting to realize how limited it is and how bad AT&T is in my area of late (with the latest software update and some recent local trips). I had Sprint before and never really had a problem so hopefully I'll be able to dump AT&T by this time tomorrow!

Upvote 0
I wish HTC could scale production up fast enough. With enough inventory, Sprint could have gone into the black on EVO sales alone. I think the demand caught Sprint and HTC off guard. I'd love to find out what really happened. It's clear that nobody expected this.

Also I read somewhere that it COULD be possible they are holding out on the shipments to have them be shipped with Froyo pre-installed. Could be a possibility.

Upvote 0
Also I read somewhere that it COULD be possible they are holding out on the shipments to have them be shipped with Froyo pre-installed. Could be a possibility.

Yeah, the story seems to change all the time. I've heard that a lot from a lot of sources. I think HTC really doesn't have the manufacturing capacity though. The are rushing to build and open new plants...they are opening a new one this month, I think.

But, look at how many different phones they manufacture. I can't fathom how they could hope to keep up with a sudden 'high-demand' phone unless they really could predict how popular a given model could be...and getting that wrong is a path to bankruptcy.

That said, I doubt they would hold up phones based on factory updates of software...there is a mechanism to do that outside the factory...OTA...and most customers couldn't care less...it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. What customers and Sprint want are EVOs...lots and lots of EVOs.

Upvote 0
Just bought one at Best Buy in Houston yesterday. I will admit BB's online stock reporting is useless. You have to call the individual stores and ask. Found a store that got 30 on Sat and I went down there along with a bunch of others. Got one for the wife though and the sales associate was very friendly dispite the madhouse of customers all wanting the EVO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones