• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locale free -> $10?? WTF

i dont know but the beta locale works better than the paid version.

That almost always seems to be the case, and yes I would have to say this is the future of free apps. Either its a game that requires you to buy something to use in it like food or gold.

Or one paid app will use another free app in order to make the devs money. But there's always ads which in some apps I could do with out. And those are the ones that I've paid for.

I've only actually uninstalled one app because the adds were so obtrusive, combined with the lag I had at the time it was really a pain. I think it was a stupid game like rose garden or something. There were actually pop ups that would take up the ENTIRE screen. so when you thought you had clicked in game you were really going to an add site.

Upvote 0
Actually, the dev timebombed the beta version. One day it gave me a message that you had to either upgrade to the paid version (which has very negative feedback) or close. And no way to go back into it to disable the settings you may have changed with it. It also disappeared from my downloads, so I had to go into manage applications to uninstall.

Here is another thread about it. I would be more than happy to pay up to $5 for it because it was a very good app, but it looks like the paid version is useless as well as expensive. I miss you Locale!!!

Upvote 0
This was a total crock of crap ... atleast tell people your going to timebomb it so they can uninstall it and make sure they change their settings back. I only used it to change my ringer/notification levels throughout the day ... back to timeriffic for me. This app is not worth anywhere near $10, I would spend $3.

$.99 would have been the limit for me. And I totally agree, total crock. Oh well, seems like they lost a shit load of customers.

Upvote 0
I dropped Locale and went with Volume/Mode Scheduler instead. I wasn't interested in location based switching anyway; all I really wanted was to turn off the ringer and notifications when I go to bed and turn them back on in the morning. I agree; if Locale were less than $5, I'd have stayed with it.

Upvote 0
Funny thing is, make an app like this $3-5 instead of $10 and you'd probably make even more money.

I might be missing something because I've never used Locale, but I believe there already is a wonderful app called Setting Profiles for like $3.95. This app is by far the best one I have installed. I'm not sure why it's so under the radar.

There's also a free version but I think it only allows 1 rule or something like that. Enough to test it out at least.

Setting Profiles Full for Android - Tools

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones