• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locate phone using IMEI on ATT network

I lost my phone. Samsung Captivate on ATT.
Battery ran out. I tried calling but did not pick up, and mylookout doesn't seem to be working as well. It's possible that whoever has my phone has switched out the sim card.

That leaves out the IMEI, which is encoded into the actual phone. Can I locate the phone using the IMEI?

I lost my phone. Samsung Captivate on ATT.
Battery ran out. I tried calling but did not pick up, and mylookout doesn't seem to be working as well. It's possible that whoever has my phone has switched out the sim card.

That leaves out the IMEI, which is encoded into the actual phone. Can I locate the phone using the IMEI?

In short, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to track the IMEI of the phone. ATT can, but they won't.

Upvote 0
Dammit, AT&T!!! Would it be possible to make a reverse 911 call and use that to track the phone down?

Well, it seems the best I can do is blacklist the phone. How would I do that?

reverse 911 call??? how about just a regular call thats how every cell phone can be tracked....however if you lost it and the battery is dead, there is NOTHING that can locate it except another person who actually picks it up.

ANY wireless carrier wont spend the time and resources to "look" for EVERY lost or stolen phone out there.

your only option is to report it lost/stolen to AT&T and make a police report. this way if someone tried to activate it (which they cant) with a new sim they will be denied. if they take that device to a store to try and get service with it, the store will confiscate the phone and probably call the cops (likely not gonna happen)

in short.... your phone is gonzo....

James

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones