1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Location Issue since firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ChicagoSammo, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ChicagoSammo

ChicagoSammo Newbie
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    I upgraded to KI1 via Kies last week and since then my GS2 thinks that I am in Skokie, IL when I am in my office in downtown Chicago.
    This only happens indoors, so out of gps range, and I would imagine that the triangulation with AT&T masts is placing me in an incorrect position.
    When I am outside and locked onto gps satellites my location is fine.
    Pre-upgrade I had no problems inside or out.
    Any ideas whether this is an AT&T issue and the timing is simply a coincidence or whether the firmware upgrade has changed something.
    Anyone else have this issue?

Advertisement

2. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Do you need to use GPS indoors at your office? Presumably you know where you are and don't need to use location services at that time :p

3. ChicagoSammo

ChicagoSammo Newbie
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    That's a very good point well made, Matttye.
    Wifey and I use the Life360 app as she has to travel a lot domestically and internationally and often has to head straight into meetings or functions so it's an easy way of knowing that she has at least got to her destination ok.
    Quite what she will make of the information that my phone is suggesting that I am 20 miles west of where I really am who knows.
    But apart from that, strange that it has suddenly started happening when I had no problems previously.

4. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yeah, its quite strange, i dont think its to do with ur firmware.. im on KI3 and location works fine.. possibly an issue with ur provider.. maybe u could point ur phone out of a window n see if it gets a gps lock? :D after that, it might just need the wireless networks to confirm ur location, it usually helps getting a gps lock first, in ur current location