• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Location not so Incredible

Mobius1

Jun 10, 2010
Begin rant:

My DInc location has never worked right and it's driving me up a wall. I have tried standing in the open, with 5/5 bars of reception and full 3G, using the following settings:

Location OFF > Use wireless networks = fail
Location ON > Use GPS satellites = fail
Location ON > Use GPS satellites > Use wireless networks = fail
Location OFF > GPS OFF > Networks OFF = Obvious fail

Regardless of the combination I use, I am in Ngari, Tibet. Not just on the clock widget, but even in google latitude. This has gotten me in quite a few jams when trying to locate myself on a map.

After changing each of these settings I tried the following:

Reboot
Battery pull
Factory reset

I have even tried this little solution. Using said app, GPS Status, I can lock on to 0/1 satellites, occasionally 0/3. After investing in a Garmin, that little sucker can find plenty of satellites.

I have tried everything listed here as well

In addition, I have discovered Ngari is where the DInc is manufactured, thusly I thought, maybe it's defaulting there. So I tried one person's tip of unchecking the automatic Date & Time settings and manually setting my timezone and such. No avail.

Data set to auto-sync.

I need a solution, or I am switching to a Moto Droid. Back when I had that, it's GPS was dead on with any settings to within 3yd.

Maps version 4210. I'm outside of 30 days but I may still bring it back and tell them they need to replace it under mfg warranty. This is ridiculous.

Edit: Quick weather update for everybody, it's Mostly Sunny in Ngari!

LOL even though it's not funny to you I'm sure. How about this for a shot in the dark:

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Network Location > Clear Data

Then soft reboot. Just a poke and a hope bro, feel for ya.

Upvote 0
LOL even though it's not funny to you I'm sure. How about this for a shot in the dark:

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Network Location > Clear Data

Then soft reboot. Just a poke and a hope bro, feel for ya.
I appreciate your attempt, but it's now fully sunny here in Ngari. I wish it were warmer though, it's only 57 degrees out here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones