1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Location "on" ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Novice App User, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Novice App User

Hi. I have Android 9. I have denied access to location to all but one of my apps. But under Settings/Security & Location/Privacy/Location , I see the word "on". When I tap on it, I am taken to a screen that says "Use location" and this is turned on. Below this, it says "Recent location requests" and lists a couple apps. What is this screen for? What would happen if I turned off "Use location"?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Those are apps that have requested your location.

You have location on, and so apps that request that info will get it.

Turn location off, and theoretically those apps that request the info can't get it.

I say theoretically, because apps have other ways of getting it even without your knowlege.

A game that requests location but is denied, yet has access to Google Play Games can get your contacts, calling and messaging info, and much more right from Google. Most likely, if you have any Google apps on your device, then Google- and anyone that asks for the info, knows your location.

Also, that little switch may or may not mean much. Google and others have been busted multiple times tracking user's location even though the user has location turned off.

These things really are just convenient little tracking devices full of toys that we all carry around with us wherever we go.

They keep us entertained while they expose us to big tech vultures.

For what its worth, I never use location, and have it off for everything that I know about.
    My device still gives out my location in multiple ways, but I do what I can to make it more difficult than normal for those that want to know that info.

Honestly, it's probably a waste of effort, but who really knows?

#2 puppykickr, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Madd61 likes this.
  3. Novice App User

So if I turn location off there, then the apps that ask for location will be denied?

If so, will the one app that i have given permission to know my location still be able to do that?

Thanks.

puppykickr likes this.
  4. puppykickr

You responded while I was editing my first response.

Please check it again.

Answering your recent questions-

yes, and yes...
    maybe.

If the app that you have given location permission to has anything to do with Google- even if you got it from Google PlayStore- then it is highly likely that the app is giving your location to Google.

And that defeats the purpose.

5. Novice App User

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

puppykickr likes this.
  6. puppykickr

Yeah, I wish things were different about tbis subject, but it is what is.

Moto E6 Forum

The Moto E6 release date was August 2019. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 435 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

August 2019
Release Date
Reviews