1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Location services gone after update??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sfcrangerdoc, Oct 18, 2014.

1. sfcrangerdoc

sfcrangerdoc Lurker

So i updated my Verizon S4 yesterday to the new patch pushed out and now anything that seems to use the location services doesn't update. Before I had options like Verizon location services, etc when i went into the menu. Now I just have google location services and its greyed out unless i turn GPS on. Things like my Weather/Clock widget now wont update unless gps is on. Before the update it would use the cellular network or wifi to get appx location. I have factory reset my phone as well just to be sure nothing is borked. Do i really have to have GPS on all the time now for my location based widgets to update???:thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sfcrangerdoc

sfcrangerdoc Lurker

Anybody got thoughts on this? is this by design? I don't see anything in the build notes regarding it.

3. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast

Um...

I don't entirely have an answer for you, only to say that I was experiencing the reverse problem. Which is to say, my GPS is always on, my shiny new "location" toggle was on, but Google Maps couldn't find me for sh*t, and when I finally switched to Waze, it up and told me that my GPS was actually off.

Cruising along the freeway at 65, I un-toggled the "Location" toggle, then re-toggled it. It asked if I wanted to use Google Location Services (which, I was pretty sure, was the only thing I'd been using, since my map apps weren't getting any GPS data). I said "yes." Then bam -- gps on, location on, apps could actually navigate me to where I want to go.

OH!!!

After typing that, I actually found an answer for you.

Settings > More > Location > Mode.

Under Mode, you get radio buttons. I want "High accuracy"; you want "Power saving."

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews